considering getting geese

Discussion in 'Geese' started by TSW99, Feb 22, 2015.

1. TSW99

TSW99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2014
    Tallahassee Fl
    I would love to get a pair of Brown chinese geese or african geese I don't know the diffrence between the two. I'm looking for a bird to kind of be like a pet. How big do the geese get that I mentioned above?
    I have chickens and ducks together would geese get along with them?
    I let my birds free range when I'm home and when I'm not they stay in a 40 by 10 foot run and the house part is 8 feet by 10.
    And can geese eat chicken feed?
    I know nothing about geese so advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. LadyHawkeAvry

LadyHawkeAvry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2015
    Carlisle, NY
    My geese free range with my ducks. Despite the fact that they are huge, my geese are not the bosses of the yard - I have a muscovy drake who rules the range... They can eat chicken food, but I would not suggest it if you get goslings. Like ducks, they need a higher protein content in their food, Adult birds can all eat general purpose food formulated for poultry and waterfowl. In the laying season, all our birds get chicken layer feed. I supplement with scratch grains in the winter, and top dress with a vitamin supplement. Chinese and African geese are very large and tall, and big African ganders can easily get reach 18 - 20 pounds. They need a decent amount of space simply because they are so large. Chinese are only slightly smaller. Both breeds have knobs which can get frostbitten in the cold, so they need a bit more protection from the elements. They are also the two noisiest breeds of geese. It makes them great watch birds for the yard, and they are quick to announce strangers. If you have neighbors close by, you may, however, want to consider a quieter breed. I have chinese crosses (chinese X embden), and the neighbors can hear them from quite some distance. They are both very loving breeds of geese if well socialized, and can be very friendly and engaging. For the best pets, get them as day old goslings and raise them as imprints. If you have pairs though, they will sometimes be more friendly with each other than they are with you when they mature. It really depends on the individual goose.

3. TSW99

Sep 7, 2014
    Tallahassee Fl
    Thank you for your reply!
    Do you think that they are louder than a roosters crow? I don't want my neighbors to get upset, my coop is in the middle of seven acres hopefully thats far enough
    And are they noisy all the time?
    My coop is a dirt floor should I just let them sleep on the ground with my ducks? I do add wood chips.
    With egg laying do they go broody? and do they lay eggs on the ground?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  4. LadyHawkeAvry

Jan 25, 2015
    Carlisle, NY
    They are no louder than roosters. My Toulouse only make noise during the breeding season, and don't make a sound for the rest of the year. My geese are all free range. They have a run in shed with hay for bedding, but they pretty much ignore it. The only reason why I have a goose in the shed is because she decided to build a nest there. They go broody, and are good nest builders. Some people put out large rubber feed bowls for them filled with hay to nest in. My current broody just used the hay to make her nest. She has been diligently tending to her nest, and laid her clutch in sub zero temperatures. Definitely a good mother.
    One of my ganders is a talker. He gives a running narrative of what is going on. If someone starts up their car at 4 AM, he will tell you. If someone he doesn't know is in the driveway, he will tell you. He will tell you how much he loves his partner. He will tell you that you are invading his space when you are out in the yard doing chores. He will tell you that the ducks woke up in the middle of the night. He will tell you if you are late with his breakfast. He is quiet, however, for much of the day. Geese can be talkative, but they like to have a reason to say things.

5. TSW99

Sep 7, 2014
    Tallahassee Fl
    I will probably order some in a few weeks once I give away some of my roosters, I had four of them in one hatch and they are over mating my hens.
    I'm thinking of getting them from murray McMurray or metzer hatchery.
    Here is my coop
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. LadyHawkeAvry

Jan 25, 2015
    Carlisle, NY
    Two geese will do fine in there!

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    That is a nice set up, where will your ducks be? My geese and ducks could never be fenced in like that together.

8. TSW99

Sep 7, 2014
    Tallahassee Fl
    Thanks
    Do you mean that your ducks and geese fight?
    I keep my ducks in the coop shown above with my chickens.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Geese are bullies and don't really tolerate having close quarters with any other species other than themselves. Mine do okay free ranging together and the ducks and chickens know to keep their distance. but they could never live penned together. Some say it works but if you did a poll and asked how many pen their ducks and geese together and they were compatible I don't think many would rec it. I have separate sleeping houses for my 3 the geese/ducks/ and chickens during the day they are all on half acre fenced in.

10. TSW99

Sep 7, 2014
    Tallahassee Fl
    Good to know
    Do You think that would be the case even if I raise them with some chickens?
    How many times the size of chicken would you think a goose is?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by