Considering Guineas and/or chickens - need some advice

Miss Mel

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 4, 2013
Northeast Pennsylvania
We've been on the fence now for over a year about whether to get chickens and/or guineas to help with our horrible tick problem, and we're ready to finally do something. I know that guineas are much better for tick control, but I'm not sure if they will annoy our neighbors. We only have a 2 acre lot. How many guineas should we consider getting to handle the ticks? I and my three kids all have Lyme disease, and we really need to do something. I'm thinking chickens would be less disruptive and less likely to wander off our property, but I'm not sure if there are certain breeds that are better for eating ticks. ANY help or advice is greatly appreciated!!! Thank you so much!

I personally think guineas are the best. They are much better foragers and tick eaters than chickens. They are also very energetic and flighty. They are extremely noisy though. If you have the space and nice neighbors you can pull it off. I think guineas are sort of like "hipster chickens" they are really entertaining and have funny personalities. They also look like grandmas in fancy dresses. :D

That's the only reason I'm hesitant.....worrying what the neighbors will think! Are they noisy all day, or are there certain times of the day they are noisier than others? Thanks!

to be honest they just start cackling at random times during the day. Especially when they get scared or frightened they make an ear piercing racket but it only lasts for a few minutes MAX. During the day they just quietly chirp and they are mostly quiet and very calm at night but again if they get frightened they will do their calls for maybe a minute and then shut up again. I would also recommend asking your neighbors if they don't mind!

Guineas will likely range a lot farther than the chickens. I second the idea of running this by the neighbors. They might be very open to the idea because they are likely battling ticks as well on their property. I like both a lot and free ranging they are a good combo.

Whatever you get, be sure they are protected from predators, especially at night.

We considered getting guineas because of our plague-like grasshopper problem (reminds me of the bible story about Moses in Egypt!) Here's what I learned:

1) Guineas are known to be better if you have a garden. Chickens will eat gardens plants and scratch the ground until they pull your plants up! Guineas stick to weeds, seeds, and bugs.

2) If you don't teach you guineas at an early age where home is, they will free-range into the horizon. Keep them pinned up in a chicken coop/barn/shelter while they are teenagers and they will know where to come back to roost each night.

3) Our current guineas and those we have had in the past seem to make noise all day long! I see that this conflicts with previous posts. I'm just saying what our experience has been. I have three right now. Only one seems to make noise right now, but he does it all the time and it echos in the shelter! We live on 16 acres and our neighbors are very agreeable, otherwise I would definitely think we have problems.

4) To quote a guy from the Nutrena chicken workshop "Guineas will never be your best friend." I did my best to pick them up and pet them often from a young age, but every time I did they ran like I was some sort of predator after them! They struggled in my hand. They even run from me now (almost 3 months old) when I bring them food. Who runs away when they know food is coming!

Chickens, depending on the breed, can be quite cuddly. Mine almost tackle me when they know food is coming! And if I sit down in the grass, they come to join me, and a couple of them will sit on my lap.

Sorry to seem so negative about guineas...they are the best if you want to keep your garden safe! I have a fence around my garden to keep the chickens out.

Hope this helps!
Penny

UGH....I was really hoping to get guineas to take care of the tick problem, but I'm not sure now. With four of us having Lyme disease, I'm willing to do just about anything, but I don't think my neighbors will share those feelings. Thanks for all the info.

Your neighbors might be having tick problems as well, so if you let them know the benefits of these little cuties, they may put up with the noise. They are also great ratters and snake getters. If you plan on locking them in at night and promise to let them out after a certain time in the morning, they be cooperative as well.

Also, if you check your city/county ordinances and find out what types of noise/farm animals are allowed, it may not matter what your neighbors think.

Exactly, if you live in a rural/agricultural area they can't say too much at all. Our one neighbor has horses and dogs that raise all kinds of noise, we have our chickens, guineas, turkeys, that make noise, another has donkeys and turkeys, then further down is a rooster farm that is super noisy. We have several of those in this area, pens full of blue barrels with a rooster tethered to it. Not sure what the purpose of that is. But they are awful loud in the dawn hours.

Then there are cattle all over and they are not quiet. Just part of living in BFE.

Back
Top Bottom