Considering Incubator? Anyone tried this one?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bluebirdnanny, Jan 16, 2014.

1. bluebirdnanny

bluebirdnanny Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2013
    JANOEL 24 Egg Automatic Digital INCUBATOR Poultry Chicken Quail Universal Tray
    Found it here:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HUDGUFO/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

I prefer the broody hen method but to get the group built up I may have to resort to an incubator. What do my friends here think of this one???? I have never used an incubator before. My only experience with chicks is on Grannys farm brood of nothing but RIR and the ones that went broody way back then.

But I am assuming since I want to help breed the real RIR I will need some incubator help to get the flock built faster if nobody goes broody.

2. tjwrangler99

tjwrangler99 New Egg

Jul 21, 2013
    I purchased the Janoel 48 egg incubator and have only fully used it once. With my first attempt at hatching eggs ever I got 19 out of 48 eggs to hatch, however after ten days I did cull out 13 eggs that either hadn't been fertilized or didn't make it. I lost 3 chicks after hatch and have 16 strong 3 week old chicks. I have been very happy with my Janoel unit, but with that being said I have no frame of reference to compare other units. But from a first time buyer and user I am completely satisfied so far. I have a second batch of eggs at day 8 going right now, wish them luck!

3. bluebirdnanny

Feb 16, 2013
    Definitely do, and keep me updated.
    I take it you have no problem with keeping the humidity where it should be? I can't afford to buy a unit that won't be what I need it to be. Want to make sure the unit is not too small or too hard to keep constant easily.

4. bluebirdnanny

Feb 16, 2013
    Will you PM me with how much it cost you and where you got yours? I need to plan what size to get and save for it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by