Considering Pheasants

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by jwlpoultry, Jan 29, 2016.

1. jwlpoultry

jwlpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2015
    I am considering getting pheasants but I'm not sure. I have chickens, ducks, turkeys, and geese and don't know if there is much of a difference. I just need advice to see if pheasants are right for me.

2. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    What's there to consider?If you want to try them,go get them and see if their for you.I raised bantams before I even knew about ornamental pheasants.After finding out about them I got rid of all the bantams and have been raising pheasants for over 30 years.The one thing you do need to worry about is keeping pheasants away from chickens.Chickens can carry diseases that they can handle,but over time will kill a pheasant.
    What breeds are you considering?
    In N.H.,Tony.

3. jwlpoultry

Apr 5, 2015
    Red golden yellow golden or ringneck

4. Rickovo

Rickovo Out Of The Brooder

You've got quite a crew there already! Seen a tweet earlier about peacock phesents - they look like fantastic birds!
    People here tend to keep phesents for shoots in woodland fringes but then most chickens here are in commercial barns and that doest stop me keeping 5 in the back garden (with a better life too.)
    But, and I'm only guessing, I think they may need a fair size territory to be properly happy?

5. Galinha

Galinha Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2012
    North Stonington, CT
    I picked up my first red golden chicks this past summer. I have bantams. I keep the pheasants in proximity to but not in with the bantams. I think it depends on what you're looking for in having birds. You can't let the pheasants free range like chickens and they'll never be as friendly. They are beautiful but be prepared to wait on the color for the males. I have found they are much cleaner than chickens and much quieter. Plus they eat next to nothing!

So from my perspective, they are much lower maintenance but not as interactive.

6. Tony K T

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Most ringnecks are spooky as they are bred for hunting.Red or yellow golden are nice birds to start with.So are silvers,amherst,and reeves.The silvers and reeves get a bad rep from a few birds that can be aggressive.But I have found the more aggressive birds are the better breeders.
    In N.H.,Tony.

7. jwlpoultry

Apr 5, 2015
    I think im going to start out with the red goldens.

8. Tony K T

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Try Albert Carmichael in Enterprise,Lonnie phillips in Red Hill,Douglas Wells in Athens or Jonny Wise in Summerdale.
    In N.H.,Tony.

9. jwlpoultry

Apr 5, 2015
    Still need a little help. Im going to be getting the Red Golden Pheasants but need to know a few more things. 1. Will they stay in a pen that is built with chicken wire? 2. Can you use them for meat.

10. Tony K T

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    They will stay in any pen as long as it is covered and they can't get out.They don't have much meat on them,you would be better with ringnecks for meat.
    In N.H.,Tony.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by