Considering the plunge...

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by arthurpete, Jul 1, 2011.

1. arthurpete

arthurpete Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2011
    Never processed a batch before. In fact, ive only butchered 3 chickens and that was a week or so ago. It got me thinking though and now im considering getting 25 freedom rangers or cx's. Im leaning towards the rangers but price could ultimately push me in the direction of cx's.

A few questions...

Is there a site that offers a cheaper organic feed. Im not a stickler for soy free but that is the only organic feed they offer. Right now i am looking at countryside organics at a cost of $48 for a 50lb bag of grower/broiler (whichi includes shipping)

Is there a hatchery that i could get a better price per bird? Looking at Freedomrangerhatchery.com

How much of this feed conversion can be supplemented through free ranging?

thanks

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  2. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    We get our feed from Modesto Milling. They ship to feed stores all over the country I think so you might be able to find a place near you. Their regular organic starter/grower is about $25 per 50lb bag. Their soy-free is closer to $28 per 50lb bag.

3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    $48 a bag! Holy cow! You are going to be eating some extremely expensive fried chicken. Chicks eat a lot.

4. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:X2 I agree and that is not the sole reason Organics is not the choice for me, I am just not on board yet. Just doesn't make the sense or the impact many think it has.

5. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:X2 I agree and that is not the sole reason Organics is not the choice for me, I am just not on board yet. Just doesn't make the sense or the impact many think it has.

What sense and impact do you think it has?

Just to clarify, I'm not being sarcastic or anything. I genuinely (sp?), am interested.

6. arthurpete

arthurpete Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2011
    shipping a 50lb of feed cost $22. Its not the organic label that really costs that much, which by the way is $26 for a 50lb bag. If i wanted to get shipped your typical feed then it would come in around $40.

Hence the reason i am looking for somewhere local or cheaper. I live along the Gulf Coast in Bama so if anybody knows of a feed store that carries an organic line i would greatly appreciate some info.

anybody care to weigh in on how much of that conversion ratio applies to free ranging? Essentially, does the feed cover that 2.5 ration or can free ranging cut into that?

thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by