Consistent blood/meat spots. What do I do?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Supernatural, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Supernatural

Supernatural Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2010
    Des Moines
    I have 5 buff orpingtons, getting about 3 eggs a day right now. More than half of my eggs have blood or meat spots, so that I have taken to cracking them in a separate bowl while cooking. Personally, I don't care - I scoop out any spots and get on with my cooking. But I donate extra eggs to friends and family, and once every couple of months to the food pantry, and I'm concerned that recipients will think the eggs are bad or gross.

I have started shutting them in earlier in the evening and being sure to stay away from the coop when they're resting, to reduce stress. I'm not sure what else to do? Do I need to replace my chickens?

2. Kickin' Chickin'

Kickin' Chickin' Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    Upstate New York
    I would like to know too as I have the same problems with my buff's.

3. dipence71

dipence71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Murrayville, IL
    Ys I would like to know also. I have the same thing going on and the ppl I sell to are kinda grossed out. They never had anything but store eggs before.

4. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    That's the main reason that eating eggs are candled, to remove the ones with blood spots or meat spots. You could do that. Other wise, culling the chicken that's laying them is the traditional advise. For chickens that have just started to lay, you could give it a little time, to see if it becomes less of an issue.

5. DawnM

DawnM Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2010
    Tacoma, Wa
    They are easy to remove with a piece of broken eggshell. I just pull them and use the egg as usual.

6. Supernatural

Supernatural Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2010
    Des Moines
    Now I'm curious if this is a common problem with Orps... [​IMG]

7. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

8. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    I get some too. I do warn them about the possibility of blood spots. People seem be less grossed out if I tell them they are not fertilized and it's not a baby chick.

9. melloladies

melloladies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Merritt Island
    One of my girls has meat spots in EVERY egg. some more than others. Not sure what gives [​IMG]
    She's been laying for about 4 months now. That is...unless she's broody. Silly girl [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by