Consistent "JUMBO" Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MLGarber, Oct 16, 2012.

1. MLGarber

MLGarber Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2012
    Virginia
    One of my hens, either a RSL or a RIR (not sure which of the hens it is) is consistently (several days a week) laying eggs upwards of 90 grams. I feel like I could pitch it at a baseball game and no one would notice :)

Most of these are double yolks, which doesn't bother me (its great for cookies!) but my DH is concerned that its unhealthy for this poor bird - and I can't imagine how the laying feels!

Any thoughts? Is this normal? healthy?

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

In my experience, it is likely to be the red sex link. It is also exasperated by her over eating, a bit. Not much you can do about either situation, really. It is simply the high power genetics of these super layers.

What do you feed your layers?

3. DianaMallory

DianaMallory Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2012
    Lancaster Ohio
    I have golden comets/RSL/ what ever the hatchery decides to call them. I have had a couple if them lay some really big eggs. triple yokers! When they first started out their eggs were really small. A lady at Meyer hatchery told me to feed them oats and it would promote larger eggs. I did and it works! No more tiny eggs!

4. nakstk

nakstk Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2011
    Kalama, Washington
  5. DianaMallory

Jul 20, 2012
    Lancaster Ohio
    Do your eggs look like this [​IMG]
    Sep 17, 2012

6. DianaMallory

Jul 20, 2012
    Lancaster Ohio
    Thanks Nakstk!

7. MLGarber

Apr 10, 2012
    Virginia
    Indeed! The first one I got really through me for a loop (my girls have only been laying for about 2 months).
    Thanks for the tips!

I feed them Layena pellets, some scratch (my mix of birdseed (millet, sunflower, basics), cracked corn, and oyster shell), and the occasional garden reject tomato and some grass clumps (weeds, really).

Haven't tried the oats, haha, but not sure if I need to with the baseballs i'm getting.

This is a total assumption, that it is the same hen. What are the odds of all 8 being that consistent? Its like 1 90+ gram egg every other day, never 2 at once.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  8. wolfsnaps

wolfsnaps Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2012
    Wow that is a huge egg!

So if you feed them oats to promote larger eggs, is it because of the higher protein intake?

9. MLGarber

Apr 10, 2012
    Virginia
    [​IMG]Here's an example. The largest is 93 grams. The middle is an average 'large' 60 gram egg. The smallest is a small pullet egg. Most of our eggs are of the middle variety... except the one RSL giving us the "behemoth" egg.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by