Consistently poopy eggs from one hen.

LikeTurkeys

Crowing
5 Years
Jul 25, 2018
Southern California
Hi everyone!
So I have a 1 1/2 year old Buff Orpington hen who has been consistently laying poopy eggs. None of my other hens lay poopy eggs, and it's not that big of an issue, I'm just wondering why?? I know a hen sticks out her oviduct a little bit to keep poop from and other icky stuff from getting on the eggs (when laying), is this one just not sticking it out far enough?
Thanks.

Something like that. I have a few poopy egg layers, too. Sometimes the poop channel either doesn't close off completely as the egg comes down or there's poop in front of the egg as it comes out. Also, a poopy butt can cause the egg to be soiled.

It's annoying, but you get used to washing those eggs that need it. I don't know that you can do anything about it. You're in good company. Lots of us here find poopy eggs from time to time.

Hi everyone!
So I have a 1 1/2 year old Buff Orpington hen who has been consistently laying poopy eggs. None of my other hens lay poopy eggs, and it's not that big of an issue, I'm just wondering why?? I know a hen sticks out her oviduct a little bit to keep poop from and other icky stuff from getting on the eggs (when laying), is this one just not sticking it out far enough?
Thanks.
I have a black Australorp that always lays a egg with a big poop on it:( Always!! My other eight, rarely if ever have any poop on theirs, so I figure it must be some sort of anatomical flaw that she has.

Something like that. I have a few poopy egg layers, too. Sometimes the poop channel either doesn't close off completely as the egg comes down or there's poop in front of the egg as it comes out. Also, a poopy butt can cause the egg to be soiled.

It's annoying, but you get used to washing those eggs that need it. I don't know that you can do anything about it. You're in good company. Lots of us here find poopy eggs from time to time.
Yeah, I'm thinking it's the poop channel not closing off completely. She has a VERY clean butt (for a chicken) so I don't think that's it.
I agree. If she has poo all around her vent on her feathers, try cutting the soiled feathers away.
One of my EEs seems to love to lay her egg, and the poo on it. Sometimes it's washable, and sometimes it's so gross I pitch it. Bless her...
Mary
You know, I had a chicken like that and they cutting of the dirty feathers worked. Not with this one!
I have a black Australorp that always lays a egg with a big poop on it:( Always!! My other eight, rarely if ever have any poop on theirs, so I figure it must be some sort of anatomical flaw that she has.
I'm thinking this is what this one has too.
I have a BO who constantly gives me poopy eggs. It's her special gift to me I guess. 😏
:)

Yeah, I'm thinking it's the poop channel not closing off completely. She has a VERY clean butt (for a chicken) so I don't think that's it.
Yup. Faulty 'two-way door'.
Have had several birds like this, it's annoying ...especially when it soils 'good' eggs.

Back
Top Bottom