Constant chirping/peeping!!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Andrea72, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Andrea72

Andrea72 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2013
    Florida
    I bought two silkie chicks yesterday and brought them home, put them in the cage in the house, gave them food and water and made sure the heat lamp wasn't too close or hot. And one of the chicks will not shut up. He or she peeps as loud as it can and I have no idea why. It hushes when I pick it up.....but starts right back after I put it down again. Never had a chick do this......there doesn't seem to be anything wrong. Any ideas??? It's like a new puppy or something!! :)

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Check your temperature under the heat source at brooder floor level. They usually only chip excessively if cold. But then chicks are noisy in general too. Could be you got a complainer. I've 5 children and there's a constant peeper here too.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  3. Andrea72

Andrea72 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2013
    Florida
    Lol!! The temp is good. He just seems to be noisy. The other chick just stares at him like he's lost his mind. The are pretty cozy in the brooder.....last night they were stretched out together under the light. So I don't know.....I guess he just likes being held. Never owned silkies before, they are just a few days old, and my bantam is about to hatch her family....so I'm going to sneak these two babies under her one night after they've hatched and see if she notices.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by