Constant Double Yolk Eggs

SD13

Chirping
Aug 28, 2020
Hello all!
I’m very excited as our Red Sex-Links are all almost at full maturity and we are averaging about 8 eggs a day (out of 12 chickens).
However, one or two of our birds are constantly laying double yolk eggs, we get one almost daily. All of the chickens are getting layer feed as well as free ranging for a few hours most days of the week. Is this normal? Harmful to the chicken? I can’t tell which one it is as we always just come out in the morning to them in the nest, but all of the birds seem completely normal, happy and in good health.

That's awesome!
I normally get double yokers within the first year of laying as their bodies are trying to figure things out.
I'm not sure if it is unhealthy and if you can even fix anything if it is unhealthy.

Red Sex-Links

one or two of our birds are constantly laying double yolk eggs, we get one almost daily.
My first Flock were Red sex-links, 5 Golden Comets and I got dozens of double yolks for a few weeks.

My second Flock were 7 Barred Rocks. I got maybe a half dozen double yolks their first year.

I currently have Red sex-links, 5 ISA Browns, 20 weeks old. 3 are laying. They started to lay during the 17th week.
Out of 37 eggs one was a double yolk.
20200914_100900_resized.jpg
It was the first egg and was large size.
20200827_102802_resized_1.jpg

White egg is ceramic.
All others are small and medium-sized.
20200831_081913.jpg

Of course I haven't cracked most, so I don't know if there are more double yolks, but judging by size, I would say no.
So I would say genetics play a role.
What's the name of your sex-links, are they Golden Comets by chance? GC

Back
Top Bottom