Constant feather pecking

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by eggmandoo, Dec 19, 2016.

1. eggmandoo

eggmandoo Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2016
    Notts, uk
    Hello. I have noticed that my rir roo is constantly having his rear feathers peckedby two hens. They don't seem to be gripping the feathers or pulling them out, but they constantly are pecking at the feathers. It does seem to irritate my rir who walks and walks. But the two peckers simply follow, pecking. I e tried lots of anti pecking spray. But seconds after application they are pecking again.
    I am having to keep them all in the 5mx 2.5m pen at present due to the U.K. Bird flu scare. I have plenty of things in the pen to keep them busy so I'm not sure it's boredom. It just seems a bad irritating habit. Any advice ?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Tell us about the feed. Protein % and any supplemented things you are feeding.

Feathers are 92% protein and while feather picking can be boredom or stress, it can be nutritional.

3. eggmandoo

Oct 14, 2016
    Notts, uk
    They have been on lAyers for 2 weeks. I can check the protein % tomorrow. They were on growers pellets prior to this.

4. eggmandoo

Oct 14, 2016
    Notts, uk
    I worry about boredom. They have a decent pen size wise. I have things in there to keep them entertained.

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Layer is usually 16 to 17 % protein. Sometimes they miss the extra protein when switching. How old are they and what breeds?

6. eggmandoo

Oct 14, 2016
    Notts, uk
    The rir is 19 weeks. The peckers are 25 weeks abs laying. A blue bell and a black rock

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by