Constant, loud parties in the brooder

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by easttxchick, Jan 18, 2011.

1. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I am currently brooding 2 Lemon Blue Cochin and 1 BLRW chicks.
    Hands down, loudest chicks I have ever brooded. It's like those loud neighbors that you constantly have to yell across the fence, "Hey, keep it down over there or I'm callin' the law".
    I've brooded up to 22 chicks at a time before, but these 3 take the cake. BIG, fat, healthy things(I'm glad), but oh Lord-they are a challenge.
    Every time I look in on them, food is spilled, waterer is turned over(I have no idea how they're doing that) and their bedding is all pushed in the back of the brooder. They are forever pokin' eyes and pullin' hair, sheesh.
    These are 2 breeds I've never had before and I fear for the time when they turn into "teenagers". I just know they're going to steal my car and go joyriding and I'll be having to bail them out of jail constantly.
    I thought Cochins were big, fat, pretty balls of feathers-turns out they are just tiny terrorists with feathered legs.

[​IMG]

Guess I should have paid more attention to the one on the right-this was when they were drying in the incubator. The expression should have been an indicator of what was to come...
    Just FYI-despite the complaints, I'm really excited about having them. [​IMG]

2. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    [​IMG] You might want to consider military school for those two...they look like trouble!!! Have fun with them![​IMG]

3. karimw

karimw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Eastern IA
    [​IMG] I can just see it! Little balls of terrorist fluff. My BBS Cochins are quite the characters too. Thanks for the laugh this morning, though the office folks are looking at me funny ....[​IMG]

4. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Just keep an eye out for the tatoos and the cigarette smoke! [​IMG] Betcha the first tatoo that shows up will say STINK EYE instead of MOM! You definitely gave me my laugh for the day! [​IMG]

5. easttxchick

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:[​IMG] That's great.
    Wait...one more thing to look for with this bunch, tatoos...I'm doomed. [​IMG]
    Every time I go out there and ask them what they've done now, they look at me like, "What, we're not doing anything".

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    You ain't heard nuthin' yet. Mine are 10 weeks old Thurs. They started crowing at 8 weeks, (if you can call it that) and this morning about dawn I was serenaded with an off key version of an egg song. [​IMG] Either that or a dust rhino scared her......

They've made a break from the brooder too many times to count, raided the liquor cabinet, smoked all the cigarettes and made some questionable phone calls. The computer history show some VERY racy pullet sites and the chicken equivalent of Victoria's Chickie Secret. The credit cards have been locked up, but I did have to report them as stolen.

Best of luck! [​IMG]

7. easttxchick

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:[​IMG]
    Wait, what am I laughing about, I haven't gotten the phone bill or credit card statements for this month.
    Well, if anything comes up questionable, I just hope they can go out and find jobs to pay them off in this bad economy.

8. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    The local Hardee's is always hiring, but I didn't think they'd last more than one day on the "job" there.........

9. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Yeah you want to look out for charges to the following websites/phone numbers:
    Bath and Broody Works
    Chickendales
    Pullets in Pantaloons
    976-Chik
    Chick Flix
    Chic fil a
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

My boss just came over to see why I was laughing - before 8 a.m. It's normally at least 9:30 before I am able to mingle with other human beings.

Thank you so much for the laughs. But now she expects me to be productive already!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by