1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Constant pasty butt

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TheJuan-n-Only, Jun 25, 2011.

1. TheJuan-n-Only

TheJuan-n-Only Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
    My Australorp seems to have constant pasty butt. I've had her for one week so she is about 1.5 week, and in that week I've had it I had to clean her 3 times already. 2 of the times the stool was rock solid. Anyone knows what can be causing that? Is her stool to soft and getting stuck on her butt fuzz? Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!

[​IMG]

2. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    One cure we have done is to wet the chicks butt and pluck the butt feathers.They will grow back but no poopie will be on that area again. It doesnt affect the chick ( I havent heard any complaining from any of them).They also might not be getting enough water.Try dipping its beak in a good couple times or so a day.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  3. TheJuan-n-Only

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
    Quote:She is the runt and always used to get push away from the water bottles....so the lack of water is a good possibility. I used to "give her water" a few times a day initially, but stopped once she started "holding her own" Maybe I'll start doing that again!

I'll try the other advise also! Thanks....

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Or grease her butt up good with Vaseline -- or Neosporin or Crisco, whatever is handy.

I would also suspect she needs more water. Good luck!

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You might put an extra water station in the brooder if you have room. To clean them I just run some warm water with a little liquid soap (I prefer dishwashing liquid) and wash their hinies with fingers--it gets it off faster than a paper towel or cloth, and no trimming or plucking needed. Some people dab a bit of oil on their vent to prevent recurrance, but it usually stops after a week or 2.

6. TheJuan-n-Only

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
    Thank you all....vaseline it is!!! lol......and I'll do more water too...that will be the 3rd watering station! lol

7. TheJuan-n-Only

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
    So far clean butt!!!! [​IMG], thank you all for your help!!!!!!!!

8. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Juan, set up two waters so the bossy chick can't control both at the same time.

9. FLGardenguy

FLGardenguy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2010
    I heard that feeding them warm water will help and it did for me but i usually also pull the plug off so it's clean and keep and eye on it...

10. Flawedprophecy

Flawedprophecy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2011
    Santa Rosa, California
    pluck her butt feathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by