constant pecking?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by northerncaliforniachick, May 1, 2009.

1. northerncaliforniachick

northerncaliforniachick Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2009
    sonoma county
    Hi everyone,
    I'm new to all this chick raising- my babies came home on Wednesday (and were 1 day old when I got them). I have 1 (Ameraucana) who is bigger than the others and showing some early 'maleness'. What really worries me is "his" constant pecking. This chick will not let the others (1 black Australorp and 1 Rhode Island Red) rest for a minute! "He" doesnt seem to be hurting them- they don't fight back or try to get away from "him"- but they can't eat or even sleep in peace. As soon as they fall asleep, they are woken up by the pecking.
    Is this normal 'pecking order' behavior or should I stop it (by getting rid of the pecker- I can't have a rooster so it's either get rid of it now or wait and see if it really is a rooster and get rid of it later). If it is a female who is just more aggressive, do I want to get rid of her anyway to have a more peaceful flock, or is this bothering me more than it is bothering them?
    Thanks for any feedback- like I say, I am very new at this!

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Hi and welcome to BYC!
    Two things I can suggest for constant pecking. First, if you are using a white heat lamp bulb, switch to a red one. This often cures the over pecking.
    Two, you can try putting the offender in chickie jail. Remove them for awhile, a day or two, and then put them back. This seems to work with some chicks.
    Good luck to you.

3. northerncaliforniachick

May 1, 2009
    sonoma county
    thank you so much for the reply. I do use a red bulb and I am trying 'chickie jail', or as my son said "time out" for the offender. I hope it works- this one has been so different from the other chicks- I hate that she/he is disturbing their peace!

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] I agree with gritsar. Try a red light and if that doesn't work separate the little bugger for awhile.

5. northerncaliforniachick

May 1, 2009
    sonoma county
    thanks- I'm doing both right now and have a potential foster parent lined up [​IMG]
    I just dont want to traumatize my other 2 sweet chickies [​IMG] Plus I end up holding the troublesome chick the most because if its 'high needs'- so that the others are not getting as much attention even though I like them most!
    thanks for the advice- I hope something works!
    Right now they all seem a bit sad about the time out corner- even the 2 who have been getting picked on!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by