Constant Pecking!!!

kcmachado

Hatching
8 Years
May 19, 2011
My hens look terrible! The constantly peck out each others feathers. I have Buff Orphingtons but now one looks like a naked neck
sad.png
I've tried vinegar in the water to no avail. They have plenty of room to roost, lay and play. I've heard this is a form of cannibalism and I should eat them but I'm not ready just yet. I have 27 new chicks and need to wait until they start laying. I also heard putting powder on the areas being pecked would instantly cure this. I just dusted them tonight, which they were very unhappy with; we'll see what happens. Any other suggestions? I'm willing to try just about anything.

Red blood is a stimulant to chickens, and as long as they can see it they will peck it. You should seperate this one from the flock til the feathers grow back. A red light helps prevent this, and you can use Blu-Kot to spray over the area. Its an anti-bacterial, masks the red color with blue, and also tastes nasty. However, you will have a purple chicken for a while.

I have been told chickens will naturally peck at blood and I ran into this problem when one had a blow out (RIP) but no one is bloody, just bald! Everyone is pecking at everyone! Some are bright red but others are just skin color. Unfortunately, we work all day and have no idea who started it but, like everything else with chickens, follow the leader. Thanks for the advice, if my powdered butts don't work I'll try your stuff -- purple is my favorite color
wink.png

It could be that the're eating the feathers because they don't have enough protein. I've heard raw meat can help with this, but idk if that complies with certain organic standards and what not. I mean, just look at how mad cow disease got started. : /

What is the protien content of your feed? Does it contain animal protien? If it doesn't you can add it as treats eg. eggs fish tuna meat. This can be a cause of picking if there are no other stressors present. Alot of behavior problems can be attributed to diet. Good luck with your hens.

If you are giving low protein treats you might try stopping those for just awhile to increase their total protein. (I am assuming you are feeding a commercial ration.) Just checking, but do you know how much protein is in your feed? Are they on layer ration?

You can try putting no pick lotion or salve over the areas to see if that helps - the feed store has it in my area.

I've never heard about low protein before. I am feeding them commercial layer feed with 16% protein. I'll have to inquire the next time I'm at the grain store about a higher protein feed. Thanks for the suggestion! I'll keep posting:)

If you are feeding your chicks and hens together you might consider Flock Raiser (20% protein) with oyster shell on the side for the layers. Chicks need 20% protein for 6 weeks.

Or, if you are feeding the chicks medicated starter and don't want to eat eggs with that in them, you can feed the hens higher protein grower feed (17% usually) with oyster shell on the side if you can't find flock raiser.

When you have teenager chickens, higher protein than 18% can be inadvisable according to this:

"Grower pullet rations. If you’re raising young pullets to become layers, you want them to grow slowly enough to develop good strong bones and to reach a normal body weight before they begin producing eggs. High-protein diets tend to hurry the birds into production before their bodies are quite ready. Therefore, the ration for growing pullets, from leaving the brooder at 6 weeks to about 14 weeks, should be about 18 percent protein."

Read more: http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-choose-commercial-chicken-feed.html#ixzz1NPhVeYZA

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=358980
see
post #2

A lot of people prefer to feed their grown hens 20% protein. You can search the threads for this.

Also they make pinless peepers which are blinders for chickens. I have never tried them.

Back
Top Bottom