Constant quacking..?

KikiDeAnime

Spooky
6 Years
Dec 29, 2017
Battle Ground, WA
All morning, Duchess has been constantly quacking and I can't figure out what is wrong. I've gone out and picked her up, checked her over, carried her around, gave them extra food/water, let the dogs out to patrol the yard. She's still quacking even while I write this. I'm worried we're going to get called on for noise because any noise before 10:30am is considered an annoyance and can be reported. Kaeda is being quiet and even Colonel isn't making noise. Duchess is the only one making noise.

Is there anything that could be making her quack so much?

Once in a while, my female runner, Storm, goes into alert mode. I have yet figured out why. But, that is what it sounds like your Duchess is doing. She will just start doing this call, and do it for several minutes. I don't know why. I will walk out, talk to her and the others will just stand and walk around. I will look for the neighborhood hawk couple. They are never around when she is calling out. The neighborhood cats aren't a problem since my ducks have made it abndantly clear that they are NOT allowed in the yard. The cats, except one that has a truce with the ducks, stay well away from our yard. Sometimes, the other runner female, Brownie will join in, and I will have a chorus of alarms. And then, suddenly, it will end.

It is a mystery. I don't know why. I haven't had a neighbor complain, and I am in a city neighborhood. I am fortunate. I wish I could do more than sympathize with you.

Oncei n a while, my female runner, Storm, goes into alert mode. I have yet figured out why. But, that is what it sounds like your Duchess is doing. She will just start doing this call, and do it for several minutes. I don't know why. I will walk out, talk to her and the others will just stand and walk around. Sometimes, the other runner female, Brownie will join in, and I will have a chorus of alarms. And then, suddenly, it will end.

It is a mystery. I don't know why. I haven't had a neighbor complain, and I am in a city neighborhood. I am fortunate. I wish I could do more than sympathize with you.
Even our chickens are confused about why she's quacking. One even pecked her when it passed by her, almost like it was like 'Be quiet!'

Yeah, my other ducks kind of just walk by like... um, what? Occasionally my runner drake will look up at the sky, as if to check and make sure, but he is usually the one who sees everything and alerts everyone to aerial issues.

Our 4 month old rouen is going through this phase now. She’s got her man, who seems pretty unaffected by her minutely, reverberating announcements. They’re just starting to become sexually active.

We have another nesting pair that is nearly a year old and working on their first clutch, who also seem to care little about what she has to say, as long as she says it in *her* corner of the yard, not theirs.

I read this linked study which proposes that dabbling hens going into their laying and nesting phases will do this to call out predators—the idea being that the noise might cause the predator might reveal itself, thus indicating whether a prospective nesting site is safe or if there are predators around. Imagine that—being annoying as a defensive strategy, lol..
https://wildfowl.wwt.org.uk/index.php/wildfowl/article/viewFile/839/839

Back
Top Bottom