constantly crying chicks - ugh!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Buns, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Buns

Buns Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2010
    Quitman, Texas
    I am at my wits end with this bunch of three day old chicks. The temp is right, food and water are available (and they are eating and drinking), yet they are the chirpingest bunch I have ever had. There are quite a few of them, probably forty. I'm used to chicks being active, eating, drinking, pooing, playing and then quietly sleeping. Seems like with these there is never a time that everyone naps. And the chirping is not just "chicken chat", it's an annoying cry. Seems to always be the phoenix.
    Also, I have them on shavings and I have two chicks with crooked toes, and two spraddle legged chicks. Could this be related to their mom's nutrition? I purchased these eggs. Or is there just a certain percentage of chicks who are going to be not quite right in some way or another? Are shavings a bad choice of bedding for new babies?
    Thanks for any advice.
    Mary

2. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    What is the temp over them?

I would try possibly giving them an area that is slightly warmer than what they have, providing plenty of space for them to get away.

In my experience chicks that cry are cold.

Are you positive there is no draft? You have to get down on chick level to know. Plus, check from a lot of angles. One thing you could do is hang some of that lightweight Christmas ribbon down into their cage. Step back and watch. If the ribbon moves, then there is a draft. Our bodies can block the source of a draft, plus we aren't as sensitive to air movement as day old chicks.

Also, what are you feeding them? What is the flooring surface, etc?

Can you post pictures of their setup?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Generally, constantly crying chicks are cold. Is it possible with so many that the smaller chicks are unable to get close to the heat source?

4. Buns

Jul 3, 2010
    Quitman, Texas
    Quote:That is a thought - there are a lot of them. I am about to change their set up so that everyone should be able to get close to the light. Thanks so much.

5. Buns

Jul 3, 2010
    Quitman, Texas
    Update on this batch of chicks: Finally figured out that it was one specific chick keeping things stirred up. A phoenix chick who seemed large and healthy, but for reasons unknown cried almost constantly from the time of hatch. His urgent unsettled cries kept all the chicks upset. The temp was right, I did not lose a single chick in this hatch and they are all doing well. Recently the crying chick stopped that strange behavior.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by