Constantly eating?!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChixMama, Jan 26, 2010.

1. ChixMama

ChixMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2010
    Central Texas
    Last Friday we brought 5 darling babies into our life. They all seem to be doing well, but one little chick has me puzzled. Lucy (RI Red) is constantly at the feeder and prefers 1 hole at the feeder. She pecks & scratches there most of the time. The others kind of come & go, but Lucy is there most of the time. She does share the hole...the others seem to want what she seems to have. She was the biggest (oldest) chick and has more feathers. Is she just hungrier or is there something for me to keep an eye on?[​IMG]

Thanks in advance for your help--this is an awesome site with tons of great info:celebrate

2. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    I cant seem to think what would be 'wrong with her. She just likes to eat all the time.[​IMG] Take out the feeder for a bit and see what happens. Just a curiosity thing. Then put the feeder back in when you think the chicks are hungry and see what she does. I don't think I would worry too much about it. Have fun with your chicks.

3. ChixMama

Jan 26, 2010
    Central Texas
    Thanks...didn't want to worry, but she just seems a little obsessed. We are having the time of our lives with them. They each have their own little personalities that's for sure!

4. Keri78

Keri78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2009
    NJ
    Just wait...the fun is JUST beginning!!![​IMG] Maybe she's just on the grow...she'll slow down eventually(and she can't eat and sleep at the same time:lau!!!) Mine ate like CRAZY during the first few months! I thought for a while I was raising baby pigs![​IMG] But...once they got old enough for regular food and got off of that super expensive grower they slowed WAAAAY down! Have fun they grow REALLY fast! Blessings,Keri

5. ChixMama

Jan 26, 2010
    Central Texas
    Thanks, Keri! She's just a little more "determined" than the rest & wanted to make sure that was ok. We're having a ball!

6. A1 Steak Sauce

A1 Steak Sauce Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2009
    My House
    Lol she's fine, she's just being a normal chicken, always eating or looking for something to eat. If I let them mine would eat til I had to roll them thru the coop door. [​IMG]

Oh, and [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  7. ChixMama

Jan 26, 2010
    Central Texas
    Thanks A1!

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    She sounds like my Lil' Bit. I can put five different treats on the ground for them before I open the pop door on the coop and she'll walk around all those treats and come to me looking hopeful for something extra special. [​IMG]
    Enjoy your chicks. [​IMG]

9. Cornychick

Cornychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Sebastian County, AR
    Mabey she is trying to fill a void in her life with food. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by