Constantly Peep-Peep-Peeping

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Peaches Lee, May 7, 2011.

1. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    I have one Silkie chick that just wont stop peeping. Very high pitched, like she wants something. They have two feeders, a waterer, some grit sand, a couple of toys, and a roost. They love attention, could she just want constant attention? I'm just asking to make sure there isn't something medically I should be worrying about.

2. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I bet the chick is cold. I've had this happen twice, especially with the small chicks. I lower the heat lamp for at least a week. With my mille fleur, I had to warm her in my hands before she was fully warm. It's nice once they grow their feathers in. [​IMG]

3. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Temperature is a big problem for chicks and they will let you know when they are too cold. If they are content with the temperature they will make only low peeping noise if any. BTW, when they get too warm, they will huddle as far away from the heat source as possible but aren't vocal about it.

4. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    They do have a heat lamp, and it's quite warm under the lamp. This particular chick feels warm? They are two weeks old and this is a new behaviour. All of them seem to need lots of stimulation, always looking out the brooder, pecking at their feed scoop, following me around their brooder's sides, jumping up/out the door. They are also still in my house. I put a little plastic pink dolphin in with them and that entertained them for hours--peck-peck-peck. She usually starts peeping after I've fed, watered them, or if she sees me. Thanks for your input. [​IMG]

5. susanah

susanah Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Hopefully you've figured it out by now...but one of our chicks (the one we think is a roo) would peep like crazy whenever
    he saw one of us if he hadn't seen us in a while and would go on and on. Finally we would pick him up and hold him for a few minutes and put him
    back and he would stop. Either he wanted to be held...or just wanted out of the brooder for a bit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by