CONSTIPATED CHICK EMERGENCY

Hannahzoinks2256

Hatching
Jan 22, 2023
No it’s not pasty Butt! This chick has been constipated for 3 days it’s been dangerously long. The chick has a full crop, and I’ve watched it struggle to go and nothing will come out. After inspecting it i found it’s a rock hard piece of poo that’s stuck inside the vent, too big to push out, plugging the poor baby up. It’s in a lot of pain. I’ve given it olive oil and kept the vent oiled, hand giving it water, and I’ve been giving it warm Epsom salt baths, nothing is helping and the poo is still trapped in there. If there is any other advice at all please please reach out ASAP. I really don’t want to lose this baby!

No it’s not pasty Butt! This chick has been constipated for 3 days it’s been dangerously long. The chick has a full crop, and I’ve watched it struggle to go and nothing will come out. After inspecting it i found it’s a rock hard piece of poo that’s stuck inside the vent, too big to push out, plugging the poor baby up. It’s in a lot of pain. I’ve given it olive oil and kept the vent oiled, hand giving it water, and I’ve been giving it warm Epsom salt baths, nothing is helping and the poo is still trapped in there. If there is any other advice at all please please reach out ASAP. I really don’t want to lose this baby!
Get some coconut oil, & feed it hardened chunks? It'll slicken it's insides, & loosen stool.

What are you feeding chick that has it so plugged up?
It’s big enough to be eating regular chick crumble, so I’ve had it on little crumbles, it has unlimited access to water, so I really don’t know why this has happened, I’ve been raising chicks for a long while and I’ve never had one become constipated

Photos?

If you can see a hardened plug of poop blocking the vent, then after you have soaked in epsom salts, apply a little mineral oil or coconut oil to the vent, see if you can work the plug out manually by gently applying a bit of pressure or you may need to use a qtip or trimmed down and blunted popsicle stick to help dig it out.
A chick will not last long with a blocked vent.

Not sure what the difference is between chick crumb and little crumbles? Once you get the chick unclogged, then offer wet chick feed for a few days. Do provide chick grit (crushed granite) free choice as well.
I'd also give the chick coconut oil for a few days to help get things moving.

So an update, little chick looks less swollen after coconut oil treatment, today. Little one is eating and drinking on its own again, so I’m hoping it’s going to take a turn for the better. Thankyou for all of your helpful advice! The oil treatment seems to be helping lots!

Back
Top Bottom