constipated chick - help please!

crystal94040

Songster
12 Years
Aug 15, 2007
my 3 week old chick seems to be constipated. I've noticed for the last 2 days she will chirp real loud, puff out her wings and strain...I tried to help her along with a tissue dipped in warm water but it did'nt help much and it still seems to be a problem today...what do I do?! The other 6 chicks seem fine.

You might want to wait for the experts... but from what I know... you can put a little sugar or karo syrup in their water... or you can put electrolytes in their water.

I would try the sugar for right now until someone else comes along... put 1tsp in their water per quart

Good luck

I tried a little olive oil, I put it in a tiny dropper and gave a few drops to her....I also gave a few drops in her backside ( like and olive oil enema)...she pooped right away twice, but she still seems to be in pain ( head hunched down, not "chipper", acting sleepy )
I'm going to give her a chance to clear the rest on her own before I try again....he little butt is SO swollen...it looks painful.
poor baby.
I don't know if what I'm doing is right
someone with some info please help!

Put a teaspoon of sugar or kayro syrup in her water! That is what I did for mine when they were little and constipated. The only reason I said wait for exspert is because they would have a more pracise idea. But for now... just add the water or kayro. Then check back... hopefully someone will come and help by then.

Are your chicks on medicated started? Be on the watch for coccidiosis which is very common.

no thes no meds in the food. The chicks have'nt been around any other animals..they stay in the house in my tub...all the other chicks are fine.
hmmm?? off to go google.

haveing them inside is not a guarantee against cocci...in fact without the med starter and being inside might make them more susceptible when you do put them out... keep an eye out for it at any rate because it does come on quick and kill fast.

the only symptom she has is she always seems to be straining.
I regular syrup the same as molassas?

Back
Top Bottom