1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

constipated chick? help!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MontanaMomma, Mar 30, 2012.

1. MontanaMomma

MontanaMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2008
    i have two one week old polish chicks. today i noticed one of them had a clump of dried poop on her butt about the size of a Skittle candy. so i used a warm wet wash cloth and got it off. then she pushed really hard and pooped a big huge firm turd and squeaked when it came out, like it hurt. then her bum hole kept contracting, like she was trying to go again. Then AnOther big turd came out and she squeaked again. her bum hole keeps contracting now, but no more turds. they get medicated chick crumble for food. is there anything i can give her to help or keep this from happening again? i'v never had a poopy butt problem before [​IMG]

2. un-named543

un-named543 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2012
    SE Minnesota
    Make sure her bottom stays clean so she can eliminate. I hope she is Ok form here on; maybe someone with more experience will come along...

3. fuzziecreatures

fuzziecreatures Chillin' With My Peeps

I had several chicks with pasty butt on and off last week, I had cleaned several of them a few times. I worked all 13hrs last thurs so didn't check on the chicks pasty butt until Friday afternoon. There were 51 of them running around and some of them look alike, so it was difficult to see who actually had pasty butt. Saturday, I noticed one chick laying around quite a bit. It had pasty butt, cleaned it off and it pooped. Then I pulled each chick out, one by one, and checked for pasty butt. I still had their shipping box near the brooder so I put non-pasty in one side and pasty in the other. 8 + 1 already cleaned, had pasty butt. 1 of the Faverolles got cleaned up and took a big poop. Everyone else wasn't too bad.
    Sadly, the lethargic chick died about 4hrs later. The rest of the chicks (50 of them) are doing just fine, they will be 2 weeks old on 4/2/12. I started offering chick grit on Wednesday, no one has been pasting up. They are getting older though, more active, eating and drinking alot.

4. MontanaMomma

MontanaMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2008
    i gave them both some yogurt last night after i cleaned her up. all butts are clean this morning, but i can't tell if there's any lethargy. i also put a little box in their container so they can get out of the heat if needed, in case it was caused by dehydration/to much heat. i will give them some grit today too. i will keep a close eye on them today. thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by