Constipated Chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by yoopergirl1211, Feb 23, 2017.

1. yoopergirl1211

yoopergirl1211 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2016
    Erie PA
    Hi! I don't think it's an emergency but I've tried everything I've read and wondering if anyone has anymore ideas. I have a 3 1/2 week old BLRW and she is having a really hard time pooping. There is no poop blocking vent and vent doesn't appear to be swollen other then being severely distended while she tries to go to the bathroom which normally takes 5 minutes of crying. I have been giving her coconut oil once a day a couple beak dips and if she is being difficult I will dropper it in mouth. I have put oil and vaseline on her vent and normally dab oil on when I hear her start crying which seems to help. It's been going on for about 5 days. I was treating all of the chicks with corid up until Tues since then I have halved the amount of it in water. I haven't been doing the electrolytes since I started corid because I read on here not too. No one else is having an issue. She is incredibly happy and healthy in everything else. She is eating and drinking and there is always plenty of both. She just started crying again and I really wish there was something else I could do. Thanks.

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Try giving her wet chick starter with a couple of drops of molasses in it (molasses has a laxative effect). Make sure she is drinking plenty, plenty of water.

If you are feeding anything besides chick starter, offer chick grit.

Did your chicks have cocci?

3. yoopergirl1211

Dec 12, 2016
    Erie PA
    I have done some grasses for them to play with and gave them grit but I stopped because I thought that might be the problem. I haven't tried molasses but I will run and get some first thing tomorrow. I'll also start paying even more attention to her drinking. They keep emptying the water but maybe she's not getting enough. I'll try anything to help her. The crying wakes me up at night and all I can do is watch and put oil on her butt. She is so friendly I hope she grows out of this. Thank you.

4. yoopergirl1211

Dec 12, 2016
    Erie PA
    I had one chick that went super lethargic on me the Monday before last and a lot of really runny poop some with reddish tint but not visibly bloody or foamy. I gave the corid to all of them just in case and the girl I was worried about is doing fine now.

5. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains

6. yoopergirl1211

Dec 12, 2016
    Erie PA
    Was thinking of doing FF for my big ladies. Wondering if it would work well for the chicks too. Thank you I'll probably grab some cream too. It was starting to look red half hour ago when she went and I have to keep other chicks from pecking at her while she's going. I put a zip tie loosely on her leg so I can pick her out of crowd easier to keep an eye on her drinking habits. I have NurtiDench or whatever its called would that be okay or I still have some packets of the save a chick too. Haven't tried the yogurt yet because there are so many conflicting opinions on it but I did pick some up to try out with my layers.

7. yoopergirl1211

Dec 12, 2016
    Erie PA
    And will the chicks self regulate the amount of grit they need. When I was giving it to them they demolished it and I was kinda worried it had been to much.

8. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains

9. yoopergirl1211

Dec 12, 2016
    Erie PA
    Thank you already had her eat the wet food with molasses and the vitamin water is in there. Putting cream on now.

10. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by