constipated chick?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by coppahed, Oct 16, 2011.

1. coppahed

coppahed Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2007
    Montana
    i have 11, 6 day old chicks. one squats to poop and nothing comes out. pooper is extended and bald. white paste is slowly oozing out. Other chicks are starting to peck at her. What to do?
    I have purle stuff to apply to keep other chicks from pecking.

2. EMaker

EMaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Quote:Your chick needs a laxative, immediately. Constipation can kill a chick very quickly. Put one large drop of food grade molasses in a tablespoon of WARM water, so the mixture is a medium caramel color. Make the chick drink at least 12 sips per day. If you need to force the chick to drink, gently dip her beak into the water, but be careful not to submerge the nostrils (aspiration will kill the chick). The molasses water usually corrects constipation in about 4 days. ISOLATE the chick, so it can rest and recover without being pecked and injured by the others. Keep the chick under a heat lamp, and give tepid (not cool---can make constipation worse) drinking water. If there is dried poop on the chick's bottom, use warm water and a soft washcloth to remove it, and if the skin is irritated, apply a drop of mineral or cooking oil to soothe the skin.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  3. coppahed

coppahed Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2007
    Montana
    Thank You. Continue to feed?

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:Chicks always need food and water available 24/7 or they will not thrive if under a heat lamp.

Sorry I don't have experience with molasses, but wanted to tell you that you shouldn't withhold food.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  5. EMaker

EMaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Yes, definitely continue to feed and water. If the chick won't eat her chick starter, hardboil an egg and finely mash up the yolk for her. Chicks usually love hard boiled eggs, and they are very nutritious. She absolutely needs to keep eating.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by