Constipated chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LaynaDon95, Feb 23, 2013.

1. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    I know threads like this have been posted countless times, but I'm gonna post mine anyways. I have read through a lot of the others, but I'm just not sure.
    I have a meat chick that is a little over 1 week old. I noticed this morning that he was standing funny and his vent didn't look right, so I went in to investigate. He didn't even try to run away like they usually do, so I picked him up. He had a HUGE knot just behind his severely swollen vent. I could see the giant ball of poo because his vent was stretched so far it was open. I brought him down to the house (their brooder is in the coop) and started trying to help him out. I mixed Karo syrup in warm water and tried to get him to drink it, I squirted some warm olive oil into his vent, I soaked his bottom in warm water (which really seemed to help) and when the poo was softened I started gently "milking" (for lack of a better word) the poo out of him. I got a lot out, but couldn't get it all. I soak him for a bit longer, shot some more olive oil up his vent and pet him in a pet carrier, lined with paper. He does not have access to food right now. He only had water with karo syrup and olive oil in it. He is less swollen now, but still blocked up. He is drinking, but not enough to make me happy. What else can I do for him?

2. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    I had a constipated chick not too long ago too. And much like your bird, her vent was extremely swollen and packed with poop. I dipped her rear in peroxide diluted in warm water. This softened it up enough for my to use a Q-tip and gently pull some of the poop out of her, and I also very gentle used my fingers to massage/squeeze her vent a bit. I did this several times, and finally her vent was completely back to normal.

It sounds like you have your chick under control, I would suggest soaking his rear a few times a day, good soakings each time. And try to get as much of that poop out of there that you can. Also, you said his pet carrier is lined with paper. Just be sure it is not too slippery for him, because a lot of times chicks can develop spraddle legs due to newspaper and/or other slippery bedding.
    Good luck with him!

3. LaynaDon95

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    Thank you very much. The paper is pretty thick and course, not slippery, and he's walking on it fine. I'll keep an eye on him. I'm using paper right now so I can monitor if he poops. So far no such luck. I'll keep working with him.

4. LaynaDon95

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    Well, he managed to get a tiny bit of poop out by himself. He just wants to sleep. I'm trying to let him get resting periods, but still take care of him. He's not as swollen, but I think something is prolapsed. Possibly his rectum from what I'm reading. With him being a meat bird, I'm just hoping he makes it to slaughtering day. I've already had 11 die of heart attacks before I realized what was happening and was able to fix it.

5. sunny & the 5 egg layers

Mar 29, 2011
    I'm sorry to hear that. [​IMG] Good Luck.

6. LaynaDon95

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    Woke up this morning to a live chick and LOTS of poop in his kennel! [​IMG] Not out of the woods yet, but this is great!

7. sunny & the 5 egg layers

Mar 29, 2011
    That is fantastic! Keep us posted!! [​IMG]

8. LaynaDon95

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    I just cleaned his backside. He has very soft poop right now, which is what I've been going for, but it's running down his backside instead of falling away like normal poo. Not complaining! I'm glad he can poop on his own now! The swelling had done down considerably, almost gone. I've given him yogurt with extra probiotics and vitamins. He's eaten some of it. His vent is still a little weird. Like I said, I think his rectum is prolapsed. And it bled a little when I wiped it. I know the prolapse (If he has one) won't heal on it's own, but will the bleeding stop? I'm not real worried about trying to treat him beyond what I've done with him being a meat bird. If I can keep him alive and out of pain until slaughtering, that is fine with me. I just don't want the poor thing bleeding all the time. I hope that goes away. So far so good, though. I just pray that he continues to heal and is able to join the other meaties again soon!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by