constipated chicken

newham0614

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 26, 2010
orange,va
I have no idea what to do or how it happened. I watched her today and she pooped but nothing came out. So i took her in the house and bathed her. I also tried gently to get some of it out. Is there anything i can give her so she gets diarreha? Please help> I don't want my chicken to die. It's been nasty looking for a while. They had antibiotics for a little while. Could that have done it? Thanks

how old is she?

how long since she has pooed?

what are you feeding?

is she eating?

have you checked her crop?.. if so is it full or empty?

for starters... do not give any form of human laxative to her... it may be to overwhelming for her and do more harm then good

I'm sorry to say, but I suspect you have a much bigger problem than constipation. In 8 years of working with a board certified avian vet, I have never once seen a constipated bird. Every bird that has come in "constipated" according to the owner has been egg bound. I certainly wouldn't recommend giving any sort of laxative. Offering lots of fruits could help get things moving naturally and will help keep her hydrated since they have a high water content. And the warm bath isn't a bad idea either. As for the antibiotics, they can cause diarrhea but I have never heard of an antibiotic causing constipation.

In over 20 years of poultry keeping I had never run into a constipated chick..... until this year. That's the only way to describe what was going on. The chick would squat and cheep loudly, but nothing. I eventually gave it a little olive oil, at both north and south ends, and it, uh, got things moving so to speak.

th.gif

Back
Top Bottom