Constipated chicken

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by linseylew4409, Mar 24, 2012.

1. linseylew4409

linseylew4409 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2012
    Coweta, Oklahoma
    What in the world should I do for poor Ginger? She shakes and shakes her little tail feathers and strains to get her poop out. ALL of the other chickens are fine. I've been giving her warm baths and that has helped (she likes it and falls asleep). After her bath, she poops a lot and I put mineral oil on her vent. This has gone one for at least 5 days, but the last time it didn't work. I don't think she drinking enough water, but I can't be sure. Any suggestions???[​IMG]

2. atikin

atikin Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2012
    New Zealand
    Oh poor we chick

You could try worming her and treating her for mites

3. thomaschickens

thomaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    Washougal, WA
    Poor little girl [​IMG] On the same lines as mineral oil, is olive oil. You can give her a little orally with a dropper as well as put some up her vent. Another option is to feed her some applesauce which works like a laxative (this works in people too along with apple juice!). You can also add molasses to her water although I'm not sure what the ratio of water to molasses is. Best of luck to you! Ginger is too cute! [​IMG]

4. linseylew4409

linseylew4409 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2012
    Coweta, Oklahoma
    Thanks! I started to put olive oil in her water dropper and my husband thought I was crazy. I will try it. I also tried to get her to eat yogurt and she wasn't having it! She wiped her beak off and PEEPED at me as if I was trying to feed her posion. Ha!

5. msbbovey

msbbovey New Egg

Jun 7, 2012
    Did the olive oil work? I am having the same problem and I am searching for answers.

6. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Why in the world would you want to do this, when the chick is already stressed?

What would either have to do with constipation?

7. bucky52

bucky52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    dark karo syrup in water.mix in a enough until it looks like weak tea.i read it here on byc a couple of months ago.back in the day moms put in their baby's milk.it was suppose to help with constipation

8. bucky52

Apr 26, 2011
    mix in enough so it looks like weak tea.

9. bucky52

Apr 26, 2011
    sorry black strap molasses

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by