constipated/egg bound or something else ?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenmandan, Oct 3, 2012.

1. chickenmandan

chickenmandan New Egg

Oct 3, 2012
    I'm new at chickens,
    I have a hen that this morning was active like always now she is staying in one spot, slow moving does not want to eat she layed a egg this am feathers on her rump are up seems like she is trying to poop but no luck. I have isolated her with a heat lamp and water not sure what to do?

2. Hi, And welcome To BYC. I'm just bumping this post so it goes back to the top of the forum again. Good Luck!

3. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

If you can keep her in the house over night, I'd give her a warm soak, then wrap her in a towel to get as much water out of her feathers as possible, then place her back under the heat lamp till she is dry.

Welcome to BYC!

4. chickenmandan

chickenmandan New Egg

Oct 3, 2012
    thank you all for your help ! I have her in the garage under the heat lamp with blankets to hold the heat in she is scratching around more and drinking some water. she has passed some stool wich is clear looks like saliva ?

5. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

Hm...

6. MeeMee Belle

MeeMee Belle New Egg

Jun 3, 2012
    My girls is doing the same thing this morning what did yours end up having? I'm at a loss for what to do.

7. MeeMee Belle

MeeMee Belle New Egg

Jun 3, 2012
    I have a girl that layed an egg this a.m. Now her rump feathers are all fluffed up and puffed out and she looks like she's straining to go Poop but recently she's had a little diarrhea and she had just finished a course this past month of Wazine. Help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by