1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Constipated Hen??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by I Love Layers, Mar 20, 2016.

1. I Love Layers

I Love Layers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2015
    Middle of Nowhere
    I think I may have a constipated hen.
    I'm not sure though, this morning she was in the egg laying stance so I didn't paid any attention. Around 4 this afternoon she was still in that position and she was having a hard time walking, almost like she was drunk.
    So I picked her up and started looking at her vent, while doing that she pooped, so I was thinking that she would be fine I put her down and walked away. An hour later after working a horse I came back and found her still walking around like she was drunk and looking constipated. I checked her vent, and it looks like there's nothing blocking the way.
    I don't have any pictures of her. So I'm wondering if chickens can become constipated and if they can can someone post a picture.

2. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    If her vent looks like it's turned inside out, she's got a prolapse. You can treat prolapse with a little Preparation H. You'll need to separate her from the rest of the flock until she heals.

If she looked like a penguin at any point when she walked, I would say she's egg bound.

You can insert a fingertip (lube, if you please) into her vent and not have to go very far to see if she's got an egg. If she does, you can fill a tub or sink with warm water and a generous amount of Epsom salt. Soak her hind end for 10-15 mins and she will possibly pass the egg on her own in a short time. If not, sucking the inside of the egg out and removing the shell is an option.

Check her vent and let us know what you find!

Post a photo if you can. :)

MrsB

3. I Love Layers

I Love Layers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2015
    Middle of Nowhere
    Ok thanks[​IMG] I was thinking a prolapse maybe. I'll definitely get a picture tomorrow

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by