Constipated hen?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by K R 2709, Dec 21, 2014.

1. K R 2709

K R 2709 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2013
    BC, Canada
    I have a hen who appears to be constipated. She laid an egg yesterday and I couldn't feel anything so I don't think that she is egg bound. She eats and drinks but sits Dow every few steps and appears to be straining.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She may not be drinking enough water in the cold weather. I would put a probiotic in her water or give her a small amount of buttermilk 2-3 days a week. I would still check inside the vent 1-2 inches with a finger (wear a rubber glove and lubricate it well to help with passing her droppings) and check her for a stuck egg. Give her some applesauce since that might help her go. Also try adding some water to a small amount of chicken feed to make it soupy--that may get more water in her, and chickens usually like mushy feed.

3. K R 2709

May 21, 2013
    BC, Canada
    She has passed a dropping so I don't think that she is constipated. She is still acting strangely. Any idea what could be wrong??

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    What do her droppings look like? Was it normal size? Did you check inside her vent for another egg? How old is she? Could she be an internal layer?

5. K R 2709

May 21, 2013
    BC, Canada
    Hahahaha sorry to keep everyone waiting. A couple days afterwards she laid and egg that was almost a perfect sphere.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by