Constipated or eggbound hen

SnyderDragdire

In the Brooder
Jul 6, 2020
Lawrenceburg IN
Egg bound or constipated chicken??

I have a hen that is lethargic and kind of walking funny. I brought her inside and gave her a bath and let her soak for a bit with her vent under water. She had a lot of poop stuck on her. She also has pooped before and after the bath.

I’m not sure if she’s eggbound as I’m not used to the feeling. Her abdomen seems a little full, but when I put my finger in her vent I didn’t really feel an egg. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 0A075098-9F86-4A72-8B06-503EBC97EAA7.jpeg
    0A075098-9F86-4A72-8B06-503EBC97EAA7.jpeg
    578.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 330C9384-06DD-427F-B385-A110515102AD.jpeg
    330C9384-06DD-427F-B385-A110515102AD.jpeg
    418.7 KB · Views: 10
How old is she? Does she normally lay eggs and has she recently been laying normal eggs? Did you insert a clean finger into her vent 2 inches? Pictures of poop can be helpful. If you think that she may be egg bound, you can get some calcium citrate with D3 tablets (Citracal or generic) and pop one into her beak to swallow. Does she eat layer feed or have oyster shell available? Is there any swelling around her vent? Her tail down position can be a sign of egg binding or another reproductive issue.

How old is she? Does she normally lay eggs and has she recently been laying normal eggs? Did you insert a clean finger into her vent 2 inches? Pictures of poop can be helpful. If you think that she may be egg bound, you can get some calcium citrate with D3 tablets (Citracal or generic) and pop one into her beak to swallow. Does she eat layer feed or have oyster shell available? Is there any swelling around her vent? Her tail down position can be a sign of egg binding or another reproductive issue.
She’s about a year and a half, I did put my finger in her vent and didn’t feel anything, let alone anything I think would be an egg. She has been laying normally and normal eggs. Her poop is green and white. She mostly eats later feed, scratch, and has oyster shells and other things for calcium/ grit. Doesn’t seem like any swelling around her vent but her stomach is all swollen, but evenly so and not one lump. Her tail is down but she’s not squatting like some egg bound hens.

Back
Top Bottom