Constipated Roo? Pics

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by artsyrobin, Mar 8, 2014.

1. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    I have a 4 year old roo that seems constipated, he has difficulty with poos' whines, i brought him in today to check him, the poo is a dark tarry look to it, here is a pic of bum, i have rinsed it, put hemorhoid lotion on it, as it is sore for him, any suggestions?

[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I've never dealt with this problem before. What kind of food is in his diet? Does he drink enough water? Common stool softener Colace is used to treat crop problems, so maybe that combined with a 3 day a week probiotic (such as Probios Dispersible Powder) would help.

3. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    Galahad has been having some poo issues started about december, noticed it with that warm up we had- so i have them all on wormer, , he isn't thin though- they all have layer feed, fermented feed in the evening, acv in the water, they do all free range too

i've never used colaace for crop problems, what would be indicators for that?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  4. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    He is very sore, soak him in an epsom salt bath for about 20 to 25 minutes. Blow dry him and put an antibiotic ointment without cain on his vent. Does he smell bad, does he have any diahrea at all. Can you post a picture of his poop.

5. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    will get pics tomorow, very loose dropping tonite in the tub- i put neosporin on him tonite before putting him back in the coop- i assume the smell was from poop buildup on the feathers-

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Colace is a stool softener, but there is a crop medicine marketed as a crop capsule that is just Colace. I thought maybe trying it as a stool softener, it may work. Olive oil would probably help too if put on his food. Vent gleet can affect roosters also. That is more of a fungal infection. Miconozole, Lotrimin, or Nustock would work, along with probiotics in the diet. Apparently buttermilk is much better for probiotics that yogurt, or use a product called Probios Powder 1/4 tsp per gallon in the water. Here is a link for vent gleet: http://www.tillysnest.com/2012/12/vent-gleet-prevention-and-treatment.html

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  7. pwand

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
  8. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
  9. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    When my chicken butts look like that it's because that for some reason poo has stuck to their butt feathers and accumulated a buildup, even to the point of becoming infected and infested with maggots. But I never actually knew what caused the buildup in the first place because it doesn't happen very often.

10. pwand

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    The articles say no. It depends on whats going on with the flock that causes it. Check him for mites and lice and De-worm with Safeguard as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by