Constipated Rooster?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dufusanddingus, Nov 11, 2013.

1. dufusanddingus

dufusanddingus Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2012
    I have an english rooster who has been exhibiting some symptoms that seem like constipation for the last few days. He is acting very healthy and normal besides this one behavior - he is eating fine, drinking fine, very active. However every few hours he is doing the motion he does when he poops, but nothing is coming out. He squats, squeezes hard, and does a little huffing noise like he is pooping but he is not. Yesterday (the second day I noticed he was doing this) I caught him and put him in a warm bath for about 10 minutes and rubbed his belly. I examined his rear to see if anything was hanging out or obstructing it, but it looked totally normal. There was a bit of poo around his rear so I cleaned it up and let him go. I didn't see him doing it for the rest of the day. But then this morning I saw him doing it again. He doesn't do it constantly, but he is doing it for about 20 seconds every half hour or so. They are a free range flock. I haven't fed them anything out of the ordinary. Yesterday after I bathed the roo's bottom I went ahead and put some electrolytes in the water and gave them a helping of scrambled eggs for extra protein. Has anyone else come across a bird that's acting constipated?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Maybe he has eaten, or eats, something he shouldn't. You could try molasses, about a tablespoon to a gallon of water. Some grapes might help, too, or a tablespoon or so of organic apple cider vinegar in the water. I suppose he could have a tumor or something in there, but it seems like it's worth it to try addressing it as constipation.

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Yes, and it's usually because they haven't been drinking enough water.

-Kathy

4. AgentScully

AgentScully Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2014
    Hello,

How are you? Has your rooster gotten better?

I have a pet rooster, and from since yesterday, he's been having a very hard time pooping. My Mum told me not to feed him anything today because his crop/stomach felt a bit full ish. He did drink some water, which I was really hoping would help him but it didn't. I've been tending to him all day, trying to help whatever is maybe clogging up to get out so he can poop regularly. But, he's been straining, and nothing but a milky ish substance is coming out. And, since he's been trying so hard, he's passing bloody :( I'm really worried about him. He's a very healthy bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by