Constipation after effects?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by med1pilot, Dec 4, 2016.

1. med1pilot

med1pilot Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2016
    NW Wisconsin
    We have a seven month old White Rock that was showing all the signs of being egg bound. Lethargic, penguin walk, tail down, etc. We took her inside and gave her a nice long warm water soak and massaged her abdomen the first night. The next day she was a little worse, so we repeated the warm water soak, then a gentle gloved probe of her vent, followed by some KY worked up inside. My wife felt a mass that she massaged for awhile. after about thirty minutes of this the chicken passed a large fecal mass that was quite solid, followed a little while later with a more normal stool. we kept her in the house for several hours, and she passed several more normal looking(but horrible smelling) stools. We also noted that her vent seemed slightly prolapsed and was very red. We applied Preparation H, and after she was warm and dry, returned her to the flock. She seemed better for a day or two, but the symptoms have returned even though she seems to be passing normal poo. She seems to be eating, but is not herself, and she keeps her tail tucked most of the time, and will occasionally lie down while she eats. Her vent area shows signs of diarrhea, but what we have seen her pass looks normal. We're stumped at this time.

2. rebrascora

rebrascora Overrun With Chickens

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Quote: I'm wondering if this might have been a lash egg rather than faecal matter and that there are other lash eggs in her system causing the continued problem. I would try another warm Epsom salt bath and lubrication and see if you can feel anything else and or help her to pass it. I'm no expert on lash eggs but you could do a search on them and see if that might be it. Has she laid any normal eggs yet do you know?

3. med1pilot

Mar 15, 2016
    NW Wisconsin
  4. med1pilot

Mar 15, 2016
    NW Wisconsin
    Well, we think we have solved the mystery of the miserable chicken. We may have been watching the wrong end, due to her outward symptoms. We found her to have an impacted crop. I was tipped off when I took her out of the coop right away this morning before they had a chance to get to the feeder. Her crop was very large and very hard. We brought her back inside right away, made her drink water via a syringe and lots of coaxing, then spent quite awhile massaging the crop. After an hour or two, the crop had reduced in size by about three quarters. By afternoon, it was emptied and she was hungry again. When I returned her to the run she made straight for the food pellets. I kept shooing her away from the pellets, as I read they should go a day or two before eating too much solid food after an impaction. She was also drinking quite a bit too, which we were thrilled to see. I brought her back in the house and gave her a little softened layer mixture so she wouldn't have to go to the roost hungry on a cold night. Tomorrow we will see how she is doing energy wise and if she is her old perky self again. Fingers crossed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by