Constipation

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by me&thegals, Apr 22, 2009.

1. me&thegals

me&thegals Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I searched through previous threads but couldn't find a satisfactory answer. I am NOT having a pasting problem, just constipation in 2 Rhode Island Red chicks.

They are 2 weeks old, on chick starter, under a heat lamp in our garage, clean water twice a day. Just 2 days ago, two of them started straining quite hard to poop. They chirp loudly and peck at their bums a lot to get the poop off. It is hard and dry and they have a very hard time trying to get it out.

Both of their rectums are starting to prolapse a little bit. Probably only 1/4" is sticking out, but still. And they're quite red from all that pecking they're doing to get the poop off.

For a couple days now I have added plain yogurt and cornmeal to their starter. Any other ideas? I've never had this problem before. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    A little
    Vaseline on the vent. What is their bedding? What is the temp in their brooder?

3. me&thegals

me&thegals Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Their bedding is pine shavings. I haven't measured the temp, but based on their configuration in the kiddie pool (not crowded or too spaced out in a ring), they are comfortable, happy, eating, playing, flying and drinking.

4. Judy

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I would think the yogurt is fine but not so sure about the cornmeal. Raw or cooked somehow? Do they get any other treats?

5. Judy

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by