Constipation?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hokankai, Jul 17, 2011.

1. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    So my bantam cochin chick, Violet, is going through a weird stage. She acts like she's constipated and I don't know what to do to help her. She'll stand up like a rooster, wings slightly away from her body, and make this weird chirping noise....obviously trying to poop. The only poop that comes out is a little chunk, and then she'll preen around her vent. It's almost as if her poo is getting bigger but her vent isn't big enough yet.

Is this dangerous? I had one of my EE chicks go through this phase too, but I was able to softly squeeze behind the stool and help her poop. Well, Violet is too small for that, haha.

Anything I can do to help her move things along? She doesn't seem to be in pain or anything from it...but I imagine it's quite uncomfortable [​IMG]

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I'm guessing you probably already checked for pasty butt. Is she getting plenty of water? Eating anything other than her crumbles that might be different?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  3. hokankai

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    They get crumbles, scratch, and various treats now. She's 9 weeks old now and has been having treats for awhile. She recently had some watermelon and cantaloupe...could the melon have done it?

4. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I wouldn't imagine that it was the melon, but I'm not sure what would give a chick constipation [​IMG]

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Is she getting any grit? It's VERY important once you start treats.

6. hokankai

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    Quote:Oooh yes. I have a sand bath in there for them that they use regularly, and I throw chick grit in there for them to pick through. [​IMG]

I just checked her over and the feathers around her vent look clean, but moist like she's been preening or something. I also saw her poop and it was normal, albeit a little large. I'll keep an eye on her though.

7. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    Try some pumpkin.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by