1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

constipation

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by paoniapoultry, Aug 2, 2011.

1. paoniapoultry

paoniapoultry Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2009
    Paonia, Colorado
    i posteed this in the turkey section, but since this section is more active, thought maybe some folks might know what's going on with my 4 week old poult:

oh boy, this poult looks uncomfortable. it tries to poo, but nothing comes out, it's whole rear end is swollen and bulbous, and when i squeeze it's butt, poop comes out like a big zit (really, ewww, sorry). there is no pasted vent, poop is not drying or covering the vent, this poult just can't seem to squeeze it out... yikes!

2. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

did you search for constipation or the like in the search, I have no idea what to suggest and it being late the search might be your best bet.

3. hcppam

just went and looked for constipation, there are a few thread's there good luck

4. paoniapoultry

paoniapoultry Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2009
    Paonia, Colorado
    thanks, i am reading through the other threads now. someone said they did a little tiny enema to the chick, maybe i will try that in the morning.

5. hcppam

Quote:Great! [​IMG]

6. Gullygarden

Gullygarden Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    I had a chick like that and fed it olive oil mixed with yogurt. It really helped and she survived. She is still small, but healthy. I fed it several times a day along with free choice chick start.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by