Construction help...not a coop

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Southern28Chick, Dec 14, 2007.

1. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    I have a shed (I think about 10'x15') I make my soap in it. Then on the side of the shed I have a 15'x20' lean-to. I want to turn my shed into a "store" and close in my lean-to to use as my "factory".

The lean-to would be a great factory since it has shelves all along one wall and I will have so much more room. I'm also getting a wood stove to put in there.

My problem: I have no clue how to do the floor, it's dirt right now. We're going to close in the open wall and put a door in (it's a 3 sided lean-to). I don't want any critters getting in there and I want a real floor.

What do y'all think? Concrete? Would we have to hire someone to do the concrete or is that something we can do ourselves?

Here's my shed:
    [​IMG]

Here's the lean-to (not a great picture):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My sign:
    [​IMG]

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    You could make a deck type floor from wood, put down a fireproof mat for the stove.

3. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
    Quote:Good one! I never thought of that!

4. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Well first of all, get all the MAN stuff out!! [​IMG] No need for lawnmowers, wheelbarrows and gas cans' in YOUR shed or "factory"........ [​IMG]

Good luck - I like the look of it all, very quaint - cute cat sitting there as well!

5. johnnyjack

johnnyjack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    usa
    concret will be hard to do with the three walls already up. would have to be done by hand around the edges.i dont know how far you are from me but iv got a wood stove for free. i guess i owe ya one lol remember i tried to runn off ur customers.all ya gota do is pick it up. its one of those with the 2 cooking eyes on top.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2007
  6. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
    Quote:I'll PM you.

7. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
    Anyone else? Are we all thinking wood floor then?

8. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
    Quote:I have to buy DH a small shed for the "man stuff" lol. I hope to have everything done soon. My shed is getting to small for my growing business. I'll decorate the shed all pretty and make that the store. That way when Bantychickmom comes back to shop she won't have to look at all my stuff spread out on my dining room table. [​IMG]

That cat is Morris. He's a cutie.

9. TxChiknRanchers

TxChiknRanchers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    Southeast Texas
    concrete is $100 a cubic yard here and then you have to do forms and finish. You will come out cheaper with say a treated base and tongue and groove plywood floor. It will be comfortable to walk on all day and you can cover the floor with paint or lineoleum or whatever you would like. Wood may cost you a little head room once it is installed but if that is not critical it may be your best bet.

Randy

10. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

That is such a cute shed and will make a very cute store....just one question for you tho....how can you not fill it with chickens!!?? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by