1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Construction Pictures!!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by fuzz, Apr 26, 2009.

1. fuzz

fuzz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2007
    Ohio
    So we went out and bought 5 foot HEAVY wire and got 100feet because its a HUGE pen.

Here are some pictures of the construction site for you to get an idea.

4 Foot Posts even though we have 5 foot wire, We have two 4 foot posts the rest are going to be 5 foot. It will just go over a foot but it shouldnt be a problem.

And FYI the pictures of the chickens pen was ALL WOODS AND WEEDS! It took 4 hours to clear it all and the stuff on the side is where we put most of the branches, plants and stuff. It was mostly briars..I look like somebody beat me up too.

And now you can also see why I cannot stick deer netting over the top for flying predators. Theses trees simply are too tall and big and branchy and whatever.

The boards and roofing on the ground is now gone and so is the chairs, its never this dumpy, its just that we are working. You can tell I am a clean freak and don't like the yard to look messy [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a 7 foot post but we are cutting them down to 5 foot.

[​IMG]

Random Picture of last years new rabbitry shed doors
    [​IMG]

Look! Its the chickens hide-out in the middle of their pen thing. I just call it their fort. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A post, their fort and my dads tool shed

[​IMG]

The size of the space the chickens get to free range its also 20 feet wide and about 80 feet long. This pic does it no justice. I am like in the middle.

[​IMG]

Their Fort
    [​IMG]

The front part of the rabbit fence which we are adding on to with the chicken pen. Only we are using the strong welded wire to add on to it. It is 4 feet high but I hope the chickens don't realize that or jump onto the hideouts...I hope they are a little dopey.

[​IMG]

More construction site, I am really sorry it looks VERY dumpy but once its all finished and we get all the junk out and re-paint it will look brand new.

[​IMG]

The Rabbitry

[​IMG]

2. Homesteading_Bound

Homesteading_Bound Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    Madison,Ohio
    That's a great run your building.

There going to be happy, healthy chickens in that area.

3. fuzz

Aug 4, 2007
    Ohio
    I hope so, I am breaking my back [​IMG]

haha, but I am excited, we finished the posts today and evened out the ground more and I am going to do a bit of landscaping...with large rocks [​IMG]

We also added more of the wooden fence to the back and tomorrow we are going to get the 100 ft long 5 foot tall welded fence and add it.

Can't wait, I really hope the chickens are very happy and they enjoy it alot! Thats all that matters to me!

4. Suburban chick farmer 09

Suburban chick farmer 09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    St. Louis MO
    That's a huge run. All the hard work is worth it knowing your chickens will have so much space.

5. fuzz

Aug 4, 2007
    Ohio
    I know, I'm hoping that because there is so much room they won't try to fly out [​IMG]

I don't even plan on getting that many chickens. 16 Tops [​IMG]

I have 8 ordered so far, I may just get a few more of the sultans, silkies and Barred Rocks.

6. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Very nice [​IMG]

7. fuzz

Aug 4, 2007
    Ohio
    Thank You [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by