1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Construction project?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TLWR, Jun 19, 2011.

1. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Ok, we have a crap ton of bricks and sand and mortar left from building the garage this spring.

I showed DH a cool pic of a brick bottom greenhouse, but he quickly said NO. [​IMG] Ok, so a real greenhouse isn't so bright an idea with all the trees around, but still.
    So today I tossed out the idea of building a brick duck house.
    DH thought that might be a good idea.

Now to figure out how to build it.

I want it raised a bit off the ground and I want to be able to hose that sucker out daily still.
    My thinking is build it with 4 posts and deck board floor and brick on top of that base. But I'm not a mason, nor do I play one on TV... so I have no clue if you can brick on top of a wood base.
    Needs to be ventilated as it gets hot here at night.
    I'll probably have power available to it for a light in the winter if it is out near their pond.
    Need to have easy access to clean.
    Need to be able to hose daily.
    Need to be able to have water in there for the hot summer nights and not make a mess of everything.

So, any suggestions on how to do this?

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

I wouldn't build a suspended brick anything... maybe a concrete base and staggered brick walls.

3. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Thats exactly what I was going to say too. Concrete base with brick walls, a window and a door...sorted [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    I think we'll concrete/paver the floor or a very thick layer of pea stone over a layer of fencing. Pea stone would be nice for overnight water dish and not making a huge mess.
    We have a bunch of pavers for the sidewalk we are building at some point when it isn't 382932 degrees out and with 3829 percent humidity. (duck house will be built in the shade)

the greenhouse I was drooling over [​IMG]
    http://www.woodpecker-joinery.co.uk/images/lean-to 8ftx6ft.jpg

I thought the ducks could just hang out in there... and I had a greenhouse too! Darn it lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by