Construction questions

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by yyz0yyz0, Dec 17, 2012.

1. yyz0yyz0

yyz0yyz0 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2012
    Hello,
    I'm still in the winter thinking/planning stages for my future coop and run. Here are some of the things I'm leaning towards and wondering if there are problems with anything or suggestions for modifications to make life easier. Going to start with 6 birds, might grow that number slightly later on.

I'm leaning toward a raised coop with run space underneath to give them a place to get out of the sun or rain. Probably coop of 6'(or8') x 4' with the run being equal width(6 or 8) and extending 12' with HW cloth buried to stop predators.

outside access for the nest boxes.

24hr access to run from coop

run sides 2' high with hinged framed fence panels for top, to give standup access to run for the occasional cleaning, etc etc.

Pressure treated wood framing construction.

Auto waterer and feeders.

Deep litter method with removable poop trays.

lots of doors/windows for ventilation and access to the coop for cleaning etc.

sheet flooring inside coop.

bottom coop access with ramp.

Coop might overhang the run fencing a few inches so I can park wheelbarrow under doors for cleanout.

So any problems with my thoughts? Pressure treated wood ok for chicken construction?

Thanks ahead for all the suggestions.

2. The Lazy L

The Lazy L Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2011
    I don't see any problems with your thoughts and pressure treated lumber is OK to use.

3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    Sounds like a good plan.

Chris

4. yyz0yyz0

yyz0yyz0 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2012
    I am going back and forth on the covered run and making the top hinged panels. My thought is that if I make the run fencing only 2ft high that I'll save on fencing cost. But that would mean crawling around in there if I needed to get in there for some reason. That's what led me to the thought of hinged panels for the top so if i need to go in the pen I can just unhook the required panels and lift them up out of the way.

so I'm now wondering, how often do you need to access the run area? Assuming you have access doors to get things like feeders/waters in/out and also drop in treats, will I need to go in there often?

5. The Lazy L

The Lazy L Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2011

The part of the run that I hung the waterer and feeder in is higher then the rest.

So the high part of the run is just over 6' and the lower part is 4'. The only time I've gone into the 4' section is when I added a door so they could free range.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Joe.G

Joe.G Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
  7. SarahJaneB

SarahJaneB Chillin' With My Peeps

Your coop sounds like it's going to be amazing!! Very well though out so far :) My chickens have had 24 hour access to the run from the coop for the past few months and that's seemed ok but now that the weather is colder i'm a worry wart. They've been pretty safe predator wise but they've taken to sleeping in the run. So last night I corralled them into the coop and closed them in for the night. Glad they're used to going into it now because the wind is crazy today up to 40mph and they've taken refuge in the coop :) So I guess I'd recommend making it possible to close the coop part up just in case still if you weren't already thinking of doing that. I'm still new to all of this though and have only just started shutting my babies in the coop so that they know that it's where they're supposed to sleep and will go in it at night for safety. Good luck with your coop!!!

8. SarahJaneB

SarahJaneB Chillin' With My Peeps

I think the top being hinged is a brilliant idea!! Sounds very convenient, especially since the run will be low to the ground.

9. Joe.G

Joe.G Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    I would also make a spot to store feed, off of one side of it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by