Consumed by Guilt!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dadecitybeth, Jun 19, 2011.

1. dadecitybeth

dadecitybeth New Egg

May 15, 2010
    My 2 yr old Amerucana died this afternoon unexpectedly and I think it is all my fault! I had her in a cage on the patio under a ceiling fan for the past 4 days for bully behavior to a new chicken. She had plenty of water/food - she was laying eggs. I was even taking her out and putting her in a run that I have so she would get exercise until I could reintroduce her into the coop. Granted, she was not enjoying the "incarceration", but I thought she had creature comforts. This afternoon she was making weird noises and looking up at the ceiling and walking around in a weird way. I decided when it cooled down I would end her incarceration as it must be making her crazy because that is the only way to describe her behavior. An hour later I went out and she was laying down with her head sticking out of the cage - mouth open and drooling. She was alive. I picked her up - tried to see if she could stand - she could not, but she could hold her head up. I thought she might be dehydrated so I got an eye dropper and brought her into the a/c house and gave her water a few drops at a time and fanned her. I noticed that she had rubbed her feathers off her neck and wondered if she might have broken her neck, but she was able to hold her head up and did not appear to be in pain. She failed fast - within 20 minutes she was gone. I was devastated! Did I do this to her? Could she have stressed herself out - thus the strange behavior - which might have caused a stroke or something? She had been acting so aggressive the last month......almost like a rooster if you know what I mean. I still feel so guilty. If anyone has an idea - I would so appreciate reading it.

2. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Can't say what was wrong but it is possible she was over stressed. Stress can bring on so many different problems it's hard to say.

However don't be to hard on yourself. Lord have mercy we've all made a mistake or two in our judgements. I know it's easier to say than do but hope you will feel better soon

Rancher

3. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I'm sorry to hear she died. I understand how upsetting it can be, but don't be too hard on yourself. Chickens are very good at hiding illness until it gets quite serious. Who knows if there was something going on before you even removed her from the coop, but she wasn't showing the signs.

4. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Tough one... sounds like you did your best for this hen and the others. So sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

5. chickengrl

chickengrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Quote:x2

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  6. Rebel Rooster

Rebel Rooster I Will Love! :)

Jun 29, 2009
    Central SC
    My Coop
    Quote:x2

x3

7. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    [​IMG] It could have been stress, illness, or injury. There is no way to tell. I agree with the other posters. You did the right thing by removing her from the flock. She could have seriously injured another bird if you hadn't.

8. dadecitybeth

dadecitybeth New Egg

May 15, 2010
    Thank you all so much! I feel so much better. My daughter just said to me that she knew the chicken was in a better place.......

9. the4heathernsmom

the4heathernsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    east texas
    [​IMG]

10. stargirl

stargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    UK
    Like us, illness in chickens can stay hidden until times of stress. Don't feel guilty, you did everything in very good faith & it may well have been inevitable xx

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by