Contagious eye infection?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by zengrrl, Apr 1, 2011.

1. zengrrl

zengrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Oakland County, MI
    So to reiterate, one of my chicks had her eye swollen shut. I thought it was pecked out but it seems to be an eye infection. I've been cleaning it out with saline solution and a dab of neosporin 2x a day, doing on day 3 or so now. Now my other chick has her eye swollen shut. This could be a helluva epidemic, what can I do?

**edited to say I do have the one seperate from the rest and now I've added the 2nd chick. However the 2nde chick is acting so lethargic I'm worried sick!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    does the eye area have a smell? if so are there any other symptoms? what age are thes you say chicks and did you just get them and where?

3. zengrrl

zengrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Oakland County, MI
    I just got my chicks last week from a private chick breeder. I called and talked to her and the runt of the litter that just got the eye infection is extremely lethargic. She sent me to TSC to get some antibiotic but told me that sweet Delila might be failure to thrive. Blah, why is it always the favorite?

and no the eyes have no smell, at first I thought they had been pecked out but I cleaned it with saline solution and it was there afterall.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    It always happens that way.. so sorry, but while at TSC pick up some chick electrolyes and vitamins, and maybe grow gel too. both of these just might give the lilttle one a boost.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by