Contagious or coincidence? Randoms chicken dying.

mylabdogs

Hatching
8 Years
Feb 14, 2011
I am in desperate need of advice. We now have a total of 8 hens and 1 rooster. They are free range, have a decent size coop, are very much loved and given layer crumble and corn. About 6 months ago, we had 1 of our leghorns become "quiet and lathargic" and then she died. She had been laying shell less egg for about 3 days prior. Then, 2 months later, we had an EE go missing. I found her under the deck dead. SHe showed no signs of distress or sickness before she died. Today, 2 months after the EE died, I went out and found a RI red dead. SHe seemed perfectly find yesterday. Last night when I went to put them to bed, I noticed she was laying on the ground of the coop and not in a box or roost like normal. This morning dead. My question is, what could cause this. Do you think it is something spreadable or do you think it is just coincidence that the chickens died. They are 1 year of age. All of them. ALso, we performed a necropsy on the two that died (I just wanted to show my kids the eggs inside etc and give them a lesson) and they were not egg bound or anything like that. I would so appreciate some advice. I am getting panicky. I love my ladies. LOVE them. Thank you.

I do and did check them for mites/lice and they are all fine. No predators (I mean, I live in a very rural area on 17 acres and there are coyote) but so far so good. I keep a good eye on them. NO signs of respiratory distress of any kind. We are constantly interacting with them. I have never wormed them. Would I notice that in their droppings?

Back
Top Bottom