1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Containing my flock

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LunaBella, Jan 31, 2012.

1. LunaBella

LunaBella Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2011
    Collegeville, PA
    i am having an issue lately with my flock. My yard is completely surrounded by a 4' fence, my flock is free to roam my entire yard, which they do. Lately they have been getting out the yard, which is approximately 2 acres. Will clipping their wings solve this problem?

2. NotSuperWoman

NotSuperWoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    My Humble Manor
    Clipping their wings will help, but not totally. My hens could hop up onto items that might be along the fence line and hop over from that.

3. krickets

krickets Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2011
    Alberta, Canada
    Seems likely. Are they breeds that are prone to fly?

4. LunaBella

Aug 25, 2011
    Collegeville, PA
    I have 3 White Leghorns and 3 White Rock (f)/Rhode Island Red (m) mixes. I am fairly new to having chickens, so i am not totally familiar with the breeds and their characteristics.

5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Two acres is ample for six birds. Try placing a feeder in center of property near something they might like to stay under or around most of day. Also consider broadcasting scratch, BOSS or some other type of grain in a couple other locations the hens need to walk to. Make them work for eats and cover some ground to do it on your property. It may take a few days to get hens to know where all the eats are located.

With some breeds / individuals the hens will always be inclined to explore so give them rewards for doing so on your property.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  6. LunaBella

Aug 25, 2011
    Collegeville, PA
    Thanks for the input.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by