Containment of bedding indoor chicken run

HomeschoolPollo

In the Brooder
May 10, 2016

I bought this chicken run and will attach her nesting container to the open end. We have one house chicken and trying to figure out once I put plywood with some linoleum over it for the bottom what can I use on the floor for bedding/poop. Right now Amber Dash is in a dog crate with towels for her bedding (and roams the house with a diaper on). She eats anything made out of paper. Was thinking of using pine shavings for the floor, but need a way to contain them some. Like a liner for the bottom of the run floor. Any suggestions? It is 45" in length by 26" wide.

Thanks in advance.

I would agree with the pine shavings since they seem to be the easiest to clean out and smell the best. Unfortunately she will scratch some of it out on the floor even with that small wire opening. You can get thin plywood, 1/4" or thinner, at Lowe's or Home Depot or even a hobby store. Cut it 3-4" high and tack it up along the bottom to hold some of the shavings in.
Hay or straw wouldn't escape the cage but are much messier unless you can really stay on top of the cleanup.

I would agree with the pine shavings since they seem to be the easiest to clean out and smell the best. Unfortunately she will scratch some of it out on the floor even with that small wire opening. You can get thin plywood, 1/4" or thinner, at Lowe's or Home Depot or even a hobby store. Cut it 3-4" high and tack it up along the bottom to hold some of the shavings in.
Hay or straw wouldn't escape the cage but are much messier unless you can really stay on top of the cleanup.

Thanks for your advice. That is a great idea about the plywood. I think I will get some 1x3's and cut them to size for the 4 sides.

Back
Top Bottom