Contemplating trail camera to try and catch my predator in action

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by janastasio, Dec 28, 2010.

1. janastasio

janastasio Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Looking for a recommend brand and model and also looking for something with a reasonable price tag. We are having such a problem with predators this year. I had an open top 30x 50 pen. We own(ed) 35 ducks and 12 chickens. We have lost 3 ducks to predator attack. I bought netting and coverd the pen and still got hit again (most likely thru the fence or on top of the net). All was quiet for 2 weeks and then we got hit again last Wednesday. Came home to an Ancona Duck with all of her feathers ripped out and broken on her winds and down her back. No reason to beleive any of the other ducks would have done this damage. Looks to violent for that. Found tracks around the pen but they may be my own dog (pug) footprints. First two birds were taken by an owl or hawk. Only caught sight of them leaving. Grrr, its so frustrating. They have been on lock down in the coop this past week because I don't want to lose anymore.

2. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    I'd spend my money for a trap instead of a camera

4. krazeepolack

krazeepolack Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok, so if you go out & buy a trail camera. what do you have then? [​IMG] Pictures of a predator!! Seem's to me, you should be shooting w/other than a camera, yes? [​IMG]

5. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:and pictures of the pen's weaknesses. The op stated that the known predators were owl and hawk, can't shoot them, but CAN repair pen to keep them out. I think in lieu of camping out all night by the coop, I'd have the cam do the stake out work for me.

6. janastasio

Mar 17, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I'm not 100% sure what my predator is. I'm assuming it's a flying predator because we caught that one in action once. Our predator also strikes during the day, a time frame where I am at work. I don't know what I'm trapping, so if I get a trap are there places better places to place the trap for a ground predator versus a flying predator??? And shooting with something else isn't an option, I do not own a gun. I do know people with them, if it were to come to that. Thanks for the help.

7. janastasio

Mar 17, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Tala, Thanks for the link to your webcam. Really neat pics and the seems like a great camera at the price and convenience of where to purchase it. I really appreciate the input.

8. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    It seems odd that a wild predator didn't consume any part of the duck. (So sorry about your birds.) Hawks and others can go right through most netting. Securing the enclosure against both air & ground critters is the safest bet (not easy or inexpensive to do with a large enclosure [​IMG]), regardless of what a game cam might reveal.

A friend recently got a cam for $80 + card cost. Even with a secure enclosure I think it's interesting to see what travels by.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by