CONTEST-Congrats MichiganWoods and Jywel417

Discussion in 'Games, Jokes, and Fun!' started by Schultz, Apr 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Hi everyone,
    I ran this contest/competition by Nifty-Chicken and we both agree it sounds like a lot of fun. Nifty has graciously offered a 6 month Golden Feather Membership to the winner. There will also be a second and third place prize awarded!

The contestants will be given until May 15th, 2009 at 10:00am Eastern Daylight time to have thier video entry posted. The winner will be announced May 15th at 5pm.

Please post that you are going to participate so I know in advance how many to expect. Also, limit needless chatting or over use of smilies.
    Please read the instructions and rules carefully and remember you can only use the materials listed. Anyone entering without following the rules, materials list or instructions will not be counted.

Now get your equipment together and let's see your creative side!!!

Egg Survival Competition

List of Materials:
    2 - Eggs
    1 - Piece of string, 30 feet long
    1 - Piece of foam board, 6 inches X 6 inches
    3 - Plastic straws
    4 - No.1, paper clips
    4 - Giant paper clips
    1 - Piece of adhesive tape, 1 meter long
    1 - Project description (Describe how your transport device will work)
    2 - Rubber band

Description:

Design and construct a device that will allow an egg to survive a 20 foot fall.

Rules:

Video must include construction of device, showing materiels used and can be edited for time provided you include the steps used for construction. Video must clearly show the device so that the judge(s) can see that it meets material requirements.

Contest:

On the contest day, each BYC Member will have two attempts at the transport process. The device will be timed from the release point to when it stops motion. The BYC member with the cleanest transport and the slowest time will be declared the winner. The best time of the two trials will be used as the BYC member entry.

Judging:

The contest judge(s) will inspect each machine via video to determine if the contest rules have been satisfied.

Side note:
    Videos can be uploaded from sites like Photobucket or Flickr and pasted to your post.
    Contestants may use tools to put the components together i.e. pliers, scissors, box knife, etc.
    Remember you do not have to use all the materials listed, just do not use materials that are not on the list or more materials than what is stated in the materials list.

Participants:
    1) Buck Creek Chickens-entry video not submitted
    2) MichiganWoods-3 seconds http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4Gk_0wLkp4
    3)
    jywel417-2.5 seconds http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laZy3FmLyrY

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  2. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Have fun Everyone!!!

3. MichiganWoods

MichiganWoods DD (Artistic Digital Diva)

Oct 6, 2008
    West Michigan
    [​IMG] Oh my gosh! We used to do this every spring at church camp!! I tell you what was crazy... my brother made a parachute for his egg out of paper and string and his survived, of course. I put mine in a paper cup and stuffed newspaper all around it. They dropped mine off of the roof and it bounced off a rock... and the egg didn't crack! That was so nutty and FUN! I'm doing this!!!!

4. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    I'm in

Chicken eggs? or poultry eggs?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  5. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Funny story MichiganWoods!

I will keep a list of the participants on the first post. Thank you!

6. MichiganWoods

Oct 6, 2008
    West Michigan
    Two questions. [​IMG]

Are we allowed to use tools to help us build this, such as pliers? And, do we have to use all of the material on the list, or can we only use some of those materials (but nothing not on the list of course)?

7. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Good questions.
    1) Yes you may use tools to put the components together i.e. pliers, scissors, box knife, etc.
    2)No you do not have to use all the materials listed, just do not use materials that are not on the list!
    I will update the main post for others that may have these same questions.

8. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Anyone else want to sign up?

9. MichiganWoods

Oct 6, 2008
    West Michigan
    I'm betting a lot of people are running into a "I don't have a camera" wall. I'm also betting that a lot of BYC'rs have cell phones with video cameras in them. Does it matter if they submit small videos from those?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  10. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the input, I hadn't thought of that! Also, my digital camera has a feature on it that allows 1 minute videos. I just take several small videos and download them to photobucket.
    Thank MW, you're a great help!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by