Continual late dead in shell ADVICE NEEDED

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by nileserenity, Mar 29, 2017.

1. nileserenity

nileserenity Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2016
    Oregon
    All last spring and summer running dry hatch in non circulated air foam incubators was getting 90-95% hatch rates. Late fall/all winter near 100% late death. Many seeing movement at days 16-18 (lockdown).
    I live in oregon so adding NO water humidity has not dropped below 27% (rarely 30-35%). I have tried both lowering incubator temps to 99.5-100 at middle egg level as well as raising it to 101.5 at middle egg level. As well as no wayer added at hatch/lockdown as well as raising humidity to 50 and 60+%. With no water added 1-3 may hatch but a few with deformities (2 eye problems, weak not fluffing and death) eggs vary from my own flock, neighbors flock and numerous different shipped eggs.
    PLEASE HELP. Here is a photo of todays eggs opened day 21. Looks to be death day 14-17??? Still most all of yolk.. lots of fluid. Air cells when candled seem on the slightly smaller side of normal but still appropriate

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
  3. nileserenity

Apr 15, 2016
    Oregon
    Using auto turner. Multiple digital thermometers and seperate hygrometers as well as multiple of the same style bators. Same style bator (2 different ones.. one that i got good hatch rates last year and purchased second brand new one to verify) used as seperate hatcher at lockdown. All with at least 1 or 2 additional thermometers and hygrometer

4. nileserenity

Apr 15, 2016
    Oregon
    I can't seem to get my photo to add
    All chicks are feathered. Appear formed normally, near if not fully developed, feathered but most if not all of yolk present, lots of veining and fluid remain. No fowl odor or colors

5. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Let me guess; your good hatch rate was from local source and your late stage death were from shipped eggs. Sound about right?

Stop using multiple instruments and calibrate the one you want to use. Use a salt test for hygrometer. Big fan of drier incubation but you need to get the humidity up to 70% min during hatch.

1 person likes this.
  6. nileserenity

Apr 15, 2016
    Oregon
    No ALL are having late death. Local, shipped and from my own flock.
    I keep multiple thermometers in each to verify just in case of low battery or hot spots. All are functioning properly. When i raised humidity at lockdown Zero hatched. When i kept it below 45% a few hatched.
    This issue has happened over the course of the last 4 months with around 300 eggs from different sources.
    Ive had as many as 3 incubator running (up to 40 eggs in each) and 2 separate hatchers.. all temps and humidity checked/verfied multiple times a day through viewing windows..and confirmed with multiple thermometers and hygrometers.

7. nileserenity

Apr 15, 2016
    Oregon
    Good hatches last year were mostly local source (1batch was shipped) but since then... death.
    Btw all hatchers and incubators do get sterilized as well.. done exactly the same as last years good hatch rates except ate not dried in the sun as we haven't had any all winter lol

8. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    A few issues I notice. First, with a still air, incubation temp should be between 101 and 102. Secondly, you need to move the eggs to different positions to minimize the effects of warmer and cooler spots in the incubator. Regarding humidity, are you candling, marking, and adjusting according to air cell development?

9. nileserenity

Apr 15, 2016
    Oregon
    Yes candling and marking air cells at 7 and 14 days and discarding any clears and/or blood rings. Eggposition in bator are shifted some at candling. The air cells are reasonable but slightly on the smaller side so i recently added a ceiling fan to the enclosed room all the incubators are housed in for better air circulation. This seems to have helped increase air cell size since my humidity seems to remain about 30% without any water added to bator

10. nileserenity

Apr 15, 2016
    Oregon
    I have also noticed day 18/19 candling at lockdown none of the aircells have tilted and lots of veining between shadow of chick and aircell. As if the chicks are not filling up the egg as far as they should.
    So is 100.5-101 temp taken at the egg turner level (the hole where the egg sits in turner) too low?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by