Continued shell-less eggs, then nothing. Need Help.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 6RandomBrownLayers, Apr 6, 2012.

1. 6RandomBrownLayers

6RandomBrownLayers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2011
    So my Delaware hen/pullet (dunno what to call her) had been laying pretty consistently from Feb to about mid March when she laid a shell-less egg. I didn't think much of it as I heard that is common in new layers. She ended up laying a couple more and one day I found her by herself outside the coop not looking very healthy. When she went was on the roost and I was closing up the coop I heard a splash and thought someone had a really watery poo. I looked and there was a shell-less egg on the floor right underneath her. I felt better because I thought she would get better. I haven't had a real egg from her for about 2 or 2 1/2 weeks. Another hen/pullet just did the same behavior as the other except I found the membrane sticking out of her vent. It was rather long, maybe 3 or 4 inches with some sort of inch long ball on the end with gooey stuff in it. Could it be a type of parasite? I feed layer mash and they free range all day with as much water and feed as they like. Tonight I have started supplementing oyster shell in case they need more calcium. I don't know if maybe the Delaware has a a hidden nest or not because at the peak I got 5 eggs one day and today I got 2 and 3 is a good day. I really would appreciate ANY help even if you think it sounds dumb or its a long shot.

2. Fluffballs

Fluffballs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    With my chickies!
    Fading or decreasing wattles and/or combs is a sign of poor calcium levels.

3. 6RandomBrownLayers

6RandomBrownLayers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2011
    Their combs still look as red as ever and I don't think the size has decreased. Is it possible that they just stopped laying?

4. Attila the Hen

Attila the Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge GA
    Based on what I have read here you may want to give her more calcium in other forms rather than oyster shell. Mine don't seem to eat it, but they will eat their own shells and I give them all the shells I get.I use to dry them out in the microwave but now I just give them the shells as is.

I have a hen laying eggs without shells now and have the same set up you have with free ranging and food and water on demand. I have been giving them extra protein as well and trying not to worry about it. Since I won't cull the one laying shell less eggs I haven't really tried to find out who it is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by